PDA

View Full Version : Supplements, what to add?

pentrix2
07/05/2011, 06:05 AM
I see the different supplements out there.

Calcium Chloride
Magnesium Chloride
Sodium bicarbonate
Kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide)

I use the Calcium chloride and Sodium bicarbonate. I know the calcium is needed to keep the corals healthy and the sodium bicarbonate is needed to build its skeleton. but what is the Magnesium and Kalkwasser needed? can I use these as well?

I have SPS and LPS corals along with anemones as well and a bunch of fishes in this tank.

Please help

Pen

billdogg
07/05/2011, 06:48 AM
What to add???

ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING YOU DON'T TEST FOR!!!

For about 95% of the folks out there, regular water changes will replenish what is needed. I don't add anything, and have not for a long long time.

AaronM
07/05/2011, 06:51 AM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

I'd test cal, alk, mag and dose accordingly.

jeff@zina.com
07/05/2011, 06:54 AM
Add the supplements that your testing shows you need to add. Nothing more.

Jeff

crvz
07/05/2011, 07:00 AM
agreed with the recommendations thus far; for a stony tank I'd be testing calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity at a minimum and dosing based on the results.

snorvich
07/05/2011, 07:29 AM
agreed with the recommendations thus far; for a stony tank I'd be testing calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity at a minimum and dosing based on the results.

Exactly. Depends on water change frequency and salt measurements.

iwishtofish
07/05/2011, 08:09 AM
It's also very important to add the supplements properly, or you can do more harm than good.

funkejj
07/05/2011, 09:08 AM
To answer your one question if Mag is low it will cause issues with balance of alk and calcium. The three need to all be at a proper level for things to be in harmony. But test and dose not just dose.

pentrix2
07/05/2011, 09:10 AM
ohhhh, thanks all. i'll only add what I test. it definitely does make sense because i only added the calcium and sodium supplements because i tested them then i went to bulfreefsupply to show me how much i need to add.

my water changes is every week or two, depending on my schedule.

Thanks again everyone.

tmz
07/05/2011, 09:26 AM
I agree monitor alklainity,calcium and magnesium and add only to the level of consumption to keep alk (7 to 11 dkh) calcium>400ppm and magnesium > 1300ppm.

Calcareous organisms( corals,mollusks, caraline alge, etc) take bi carbonate from the water and attach it to calcium creating skeletal mass as calcium carbonate. they incorpate some magnesium in this process as well.

There are several ways to maintain levels.Salt mix adds them at varying amounts depending on the mix usedbut is often not enough.

Supplements:

Calcium chloride adds only calcium and needs to be dosed in balanced proportions with bicarbonat/carbonate. Commercial two part blends,or generic products like baking soda and calcium chloride can be used.

Klak is calcium hydroxide. It adds both calcium and alkalinity in balanced proportions. It also raises ph and must be dosed slowly to avoid spikes.

Calcium reactors dissove calcium carbonae media and add calcium and alkalinity in balanced proportions.

All three of these methods can be used independently or in combination.

Magnesium helps because organisms use it and it offsets excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate.Some carbonate will bind with magnesium in lieu of calcium. When it does it slows the growth of the forming crystal and moderates calcium carbonate formation/precipitation. If you are using calcium chloride it's a good idea to use a mix of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate to maintain chloride /sulfate ratios in the tank.

Edgar Melton
07/05/2011, 07:50 PM
im haveing prob with ph so i started adding cal and alk 2 part (b ionic) now my cal level is 440ppm my alk is 8 dkh so they are fine my ph is 8 i want it to be 8.3 so last night at 6 pm i added 15ml of the 2 part got my ph to rise to the 8.3 i checked my levels today and everthing is great im i not going to have to dose every day ?