PDA

View Full Version : Lionfish vs dwarf lionfish

Dustin1231
07/07/2011, 12:59 PM
Just wondering what you guys think is the better between the two types of fish. I had a volitan lionfish years ago and really enjoyed him, but as i start stock my 120 FOWLR im wondering which might be the better choice. The dwarfs are kinda cute, but the bigger ones are pretty awesome. Lets hear your thoughts.

FMarini
07/07/2011, 01:10 PM
its tank dependent-
big lions are spectacular but require big space
dwarfs look great in smaller tanks-and can cohabitate w more common fish since there is less threat of eating them

personal choice really

you might want to read this article about keeping lionfish
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/

namxas
07/07/2011, 01:50 PM
What Frank sez...

Is your tank a 48" 120 or a 72" 120 (IIRC, the 72" may be a 125)?

There's nothing like an adult volitans...they're simply impressive fish. I'd only keep a single large lion in that tank.

Depending on what you want to keep, you could also go with a couple of mid-size lions (P. antennata, P. mombassae, P. radiata). OR...a M-F-F trio of fuzzies would be great. You could even keep different Dendrochirus sp.

What other fish are you considering? That will help you decide on a lion.

Dustin1231
07/07/2011, 02:26 PM
really have no idea what else im going to put in the tank. The wife really like the niger trigger. I know most people don't like the idea of mixing of lions and triggers... I did have it work before. Maybe a puffer, some soft of small tang... still open to ideas

ashtree68
07/07/2011, 02:27 PM
Simple solution, like the rest of us just get another tank! Get a nice volitan in the 120 and get a 75 or 90 and put a trio of fuzzies in there. Best of both worlds! :)

But like has been said depends on what else you want to keep, do you want a lot of movement, one or two big fish, or a lot of busy movement?

aday2remmbr
07/07/2011, 02:32 PM
id say dwarf, it leaves more room for other fish it you wish to get any. but if you plan on stocking the tank lightly go for a full sized one.

Dustin1231
07/07/2011, 02:37 PM
yea... dont really want to do that again. I had 4 running at once. It was fun, but now im too lazy. :beer:

namxas
07/07/2011, 03:47 PM
really have no idea what else im going to put in the tank. The wife really like the niger trigger. I know most people don't like the idea of mixing of lions and triggers... I did have it work before. Maybe a puffer, some soft of small tang... still open to ideas

If you want to get the most 'face time' with your lion, I don't recommend any fast-moving or aggressive tankmates. IME, if lions have sufficient swimming room and feel secure, they'll reward you with spending much of their time in the water column,

Dustin1231
07/07/2011, 04:03 PM
I just want to have some fish that when i sit on the couch (about 8 feet away) I can sit in the dark of my basement with nothing but the lights on the tank and watch a active and colorful tank while drinking a nice glass of whiskey. lol

What fish would you suggest to add in a tank with a lion that will keep him pretty active?

Dustin1231
07/07/2011, 04:05 PM
Simple solution, like the rest of us just get another tank! Get a nice volitan in the 120 and get a 75 or 90 and put a trio of fuzzies in there. Best of both worlds! :)

But like has been said depends on what else you want to keep, do you want a lot of movement, one or two big fish, or a lot of busy movement?

Ive seen a couple photos on here of 3 different dwarf lions in a tank. Looked pretty cool, and they all looked like they interacted together.

I guess im looking for more of a active tank

aday2remmbr
07/07/2011, 04:13 PM
is it a reef tank? if not you could add a large angelfish.

namxas
07/07/2011, 04:37 PM
is it a reef tank? if not you could add a large angelfish.

That would be in lieu of a lionfish tho. Large angels and lions don't mix well.

Dustin1231
07/07/2011, 08:21 PM
It will not be a reef tank... Like i said, im pretty lazy anymore... Just fish with life rock.

aday2remmbr
07/08/2011, 11:42 AM
That would be in lieu of a lionfish tho. Large angels and lions don't mix well.

i have never had problems with lions and angels, i have had many predatory tanks mixing tangs, angels, lions, triggers, puffers and many other sorts of fish.

namxas
07/08/2011, 01:17 PM
Neither have I, but that was 20 years ago before anyone knew any better, and I wouldn't tempt fate again. Unfortunately, the problems seem to be the rule rather than the exception.