PDA

View Full Version : Will a mag 7 work for this setup? need input

Mr.Tan
07/08/2011, 09:49 AM
I am going to have about a 7 foot total distance from my basement sump to my DT. Now, it isn't completely vertical 7 feet, i'd say the only part that is going to be vertical is the last 3 feet going in to the DT itself... the rest is just horizontal. The way it is setup is the sump is basically behind the DT just down alittle bit and over in the basement (my room the DT is in is right near the basement, only 3 steps from the tank level to the basement and the sump is up on a well supported/reinforced shelf)... so its not like its going up a couple floors. It will be externally mounted to allow for less heat in the sump and also for ease of maintanence.

Will a Mag 7 suffice for this? it says it has a max head height of 12.5' and i feel since i only have a 3 foot vertical section it should be more then good and push out the 300gph that I need (29 gallon DT with a 20g sump) the mag 7 is rated for 700gph max.

:beer:

JustinM
07/08/2011, 09:58 AM
Hey, here is a list with all the mag pumps and their head loss

http://www.marinedepot.com/Danner_Mag_Drive_Supreme_Water_Pump_Up_to_500_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible_Water_Pumps-Danner_Mfg.-DN1111-FIWPSBUF-vi.html

At 7' vertically, you still have 350gph. Put a ball valve on it. If your overflow is rated for 300gph, they're usually underated a little, but you could end up with an overflow, literally.

Mr.Tan
07/08/2011, 10:42 AM
Oh cool, i didn't even think to check for a list that has the head loss of the pump..thanks for that!

Yeah i didn't purchase my overflow quite yet, however I will make sure to get a ball valve on the return line to slow down the flow a bit incase it is to much... just what i dont need is for it to overflow!

Thanks for confirming the mag 7, i was hoping it would work since the next step up is almost a $30 increase in price haha

Mr.Tan
07/08/2011, 02:11 PM
OK i have naother question.... THe return pump has an outlet and inlet size of .5" .... now, do i need to make sure the return pipe coming off the pump is also .5" or is it ok to step it up to .75"? the return inlet vent that I am buying from TFP (one of those elbow things with the direction adjustable inlet for the return in to the tank itself, hopefully you know what i mean) is a 3/4" tube, so i feel like i should have 3/4" PVC piping running the whole way off of the return pump so it isn't stepping down to much. do you guys think that will be ok? having a .5" return pump outlet step up to a 3/4" PVC pipe for the return?....im going to have a 3/4" overflow pipe running down to the sump....

JustinM
07/08/2011, 02:24 PM
You can step it up. Just get the appropriate pieces(couplings) to make the connection to the return jet.

JustinM
07/08/2011, 02:27 PM
Oh yeah, make sure to add a union close to your return pump for easy dis-connect when you want to clean your pump.

Mr.Tan
07/08/2011, 02:32 PM
alright cool, thanks for helping me out with that so quick! im planning on getting the PVC piping tonight so I can start on that since its going to be the most time consuming part of it all..I will definitely get that to add so I can easily clean and maintain it, i was planning on scooping something but I forgot, thanks again!

I'm sure i'll be updating my build thread in the new reefers section later this evening if my plans fall through like i think they are going to i'll have lots of time to work on this haha.

Mr.Tan
07/08/2011, 02:33 PM
oh and glass wont be done until monday, I came home and re-measured the inside dimensions of the sump and thank goodness i did i had to call them and tell them it needs to be a little bit less wide, good thing they didn't polish the edges yet or i would have been SOL haha