PDA

View Full Version : Reef Snobs?

VitalApparatus
07/09/2011, 07:12 AM
Im starting to run across people who are actualy willing to say things like "I dont care for LPS and softies only SPS" I heard one fellow say "I dont know why people waste money on those weeds" (referring to zoanthids and palyzoas).

I understand there are childish baffoons everywhere.I just figured if these folks are smart enough to keep reefs alive they would be smart enough not to fall into the "My corals are better than yours trap" simply because of the cost or difficulty of raising one group of corals over the other.I personally would hate to think I was going to miss out on the beauty of ANY of the groups of animals we try to keep.Im very proud to have a mixed reef.

I realize this is kind of a rant so feel free to delete.My heart wont be broken :)

collie man
07/09/2011, 08:19 AM
everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i personally have an addiction for SPS but i do house other corals as well. we do not condemn people for saying they like mac better than pc, i think its just about each persons likes and dislikes. some fellow reefers consider SPS as a more pristine coral choice based on its difficulty to keep in a captive environment. some of those individuals have inspired me with their vivid corals and large colonies.

to each their own i say

-Jeremy

dzfish17
07/09/2011, 08:47 AM
Go ahead and rant if you want to. One of the things that ticks me off the most is that some of the people youre talking about enjoy working at the lfs. The self proclaimed "know it all" is happy to tell you what youre doing wrong and what you should be doing. They usually stop with the attitude when they find out that I have a 600g tank and have been an aquarists for over 30 yrs. Im like you... I enjoy all aspects of the hobby from fish only to mixed reefs and sps only tanks.

BlueCorn
07/09/2011, 08:53 AM
The irony.

It burns.