PDA

View Full Version : Shipping candycanes ????

kingfisher62
07/09/2011, 11:22 AM
Tried this post in the LPS forum with no feedback. Thought I would try in this forum.
I was thinking of selling a small colony of candycanes and shipping from Mass. to Alabama via USPS priority 2-3 days.
Has any one tried this? Is 3 days too long? Does this particular coral ship well? Should I pack with an ice pack or would that chill them too much?
Any reccomendations would be aprecciated.

chrisv
07/09/2011, 11:30 AM
yikes....2-3 days? im not an experienced shipper, but that sounds stressful.

snorvich
07/09/2011, 11:31 AM
I only accept corals or fish next day delivery. Your buyer, if experienced, would probably agree.

kingfisher62
07/09/2011, 12:41 PM
Just trying to keep cost down. Did it successfully with softies before but do not want to risk an LPS. I was actually toying with the idea sticking the base of the candycanes in a piece of styrofoam so it would float upside down in the water as not to damage it as much in transit.
Do you think that would work?
I will talk to him about the next day shipping.

manhorsedog
07/09/2011, 12:50 PM
2-3 days is a gamble no matter how you look at it.

muttley000
07/09/2011, 02:57 PM
This time of year you will bake them. These corals are quite hardy, but this would be a mistake in my opinion.

scapes
07/09/2011, 04:00 PM
hello, it's like 100 degrees down here!! would you survive in a bag in a box for 2-3 days?? yikes!!! may be fall or spring, but heck no, NOT NOW!!

overnight, sure. USPS definately a negative

ReefPharmer
07/09/2011, 04:08 PM
any time you consider shipping stuff, watch ace ventura pet detective. I believe he gave an accurate account of how packages get handled by delivery service.

kingfisher62
07/09/2011, 04:39 PM
Looks like I will hold off till a couple of cooler days and do a overnight shipping!
Thanks for the advice.

iamwrasseman
07/09/2011, 05:27 PM
DON'T DO IT !~with the temperature that it will be in it doesn't sound like a good thing to me . if you ship them they ship well stuck to a 2"x2" piece of Styrofoam and floated upside down in the bag so they dont get damaged . i would think you have a 10% chance of survival if you ship as you have stated . when we get shipments in the store that are delayed for one full day at Philly on the asphalt the effects are devastating as the temp just gets to high usually resulting in a very high casualty rate .if its in the spring or fall they can last much longer but right now you will be shipping dead corals IME .