PDA

View Full Version : THis is for the LED users out there..

jbird0420
07/09/2011, 02:50 PM
I have a 180g mixed coral tank. I just switched to LEDS DIY. I was running 3x 250w MH's and 2x VHO actinics.

So far most of the corals seems ok. I'm concerned about my SPS, especially my Green Birdsnest colonies. They are not a full as before. I didn't know if there is a transition period. LEDS have been up and running for 5 days now.

Any one else experience the same???

Thanks for looking!:thumbsup:

ReefPharmer
07/09/2011, 02:57 PM
How many LEDs are you using? What is the manufacturer? How close are they to water? Are you using optics. There is a transition period. Most coral will be ok, some will be shocked (if you turned the lights on all the way) and will bleach. Please give a little more info.

Felixc395
07/09/2011, 02:59 PM
Did you go with dimmable drivers? You may be shocking your corals just a little and some of them aren't doing quite as well as a result.

Good luck! Got any pictures?

jbird0420
07/09/2011, 03:29 PM
Sorry for the lack of info. They are Chinese FEDY LEDS with FEDY drivers. Not dimmable.
I have a 68"x20" heat sink that mounts over my 180g tank, with 140 3w Leds. 100 white, 40 Royal Blues.
I have the heatsink mounted approx 17" above the water line. Each LEd is spaced about 3 " apart from each other.

Unfortunatley, I don't have or can get my hands on a PAR meter.

No pics yet, but will post later.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Please keep it coming !!! :)

Felixc395
07/09/2011, 03:33 PM
You might want to borrow a PAR meter, I know you said that you can't but it really might be more beneficial than blasting your corals. However, I doubt that the PAR of Chinese LED's could ever match Cree's, but I'm sure they're still somewhat powerful.

jbird0420
07/09/2011, 03:38 PM
Yea, there not as good as the CREE's, from what I've read.

All of them look fine. The birdsnest colonies are not bleaching, nor are the branches retracting the poylps. Just the fullness of the colonies are just not there. Again, this maybe a transition period for them, but I wanted to ask if this is a normal thing.