PDA

View Full Version : green leather coral not happy

kjcinc
07/09/2011, 09:55 PM
I have had this coral for 6 or 7 years with total success. It has thrived up until now. I have had recent water quality problems that are now under control. This coral has survived many other mistakes like this in the past but seems to have given up.
I removed it from the main display due to damage that may have been caused by one of the fish. I also dipped it in coral RX to see if there was any critters doing the damage.
Any suggestions?

InsaneClownFish
07/09/2011, 11:32 PM
Hmmm if you can I'd really like to see some pictures. Fragging it might help- that way you are assured you save some of it.

What type of water issues. You may have actually cleaned up what it likes...what fish was harassing it? Have you moved it?

You are aware that leathers can close up and look rather homely for a couple days- this is a natural growth process. How large is the leather now, and what size is your system?

kjcinc
07/10/2011, 10:41 AM
During its healthy days it was about 12 - 16 in tall as well as wide. The water quality problems were everything. You name the rookie mistake and I made it. Salinity swings, temp swings. High No3, high Po4. Ph , DKH, and Ca have remained somewhat stable.
A large sailfin may be the culprit. It actually seems to be pulling on a sea pen out of anger. The sea pen is located where the fish like to hang out and since the pen and the fish are getting larger. the fish seems to want to move it. It actually grabs the sea pen and swims away violently trying to take it along. I am assuming that the sailfin did the damage to the leather coral.
The leather coral attached itself to a rock next to its original location but during its decline it seemed like the connection was weak. It took advantage of this and removed it to my frag tank where it did not change.
Over the years it did shrink for weeks at a time on a regular basis, shedded mucus then grew to its normal size. I has shrunk to a 3-4 in size for many months now.
I will am unable to privde pics.
Thanks for responding
Kenny

kjcinc
07/10/2011, 10:47 AM
My system is approx 300 gal. You name it, I have it. I am a general contractor and an accomplished builder. I try to cover all of my bases and I literally spare no expense. Unfortunately being good at building elaborate systems does not mean that one is good at maintaining them. I dont consider myself a rookie but I sure do make rookie mistakes. At the expense of my prize corals.

InsaneClownFish
07/10/2011, 02:30 PM
I really can't see how the Sailfin would be the culprit. Tangs will pick at the base of a toadstool eating any algal growth. Maybe it is possible he has gotten large enough where this is damaging the Toadstool- but I doubt it.

If you always had issues with your tank, then I doubt it is any of your parameters. Leathers like a touch of "dirty water" anyway, and they are very tolerant/ forgiving animals.

It could be chemical warfare since you've "collected" corals over those 6-7 years, or it could even be a light issue. It's really hard to say without pictures. My only other guess is your Ph and Alk are significantly askew- but then again everything would be stressed or dying.

Gill_bucket
07/10/2011, 03:11 PM
Do you have any nems?

kjcinc
07/10/2011, 10:25 PM
I am not sure what "nems" are.
I will work on getting a picture posted.
Thanks

InsaneClownFish
07/10/2011, 10:28 PM
Gill is referring to anemones.