PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime Algae Problem...

PaulFMcG
07/10/2011, 04:01 PM
My Tank is about 3 Months old and I just started to have a Red Slime Algae Attack!!!
I am not sure if its due to the Hotter weather we are having or something else is contreibuting to it?

I currently have the Overflow going into a Sump with a Filter Sock and Live Rock in the 1st Baffle, then a Skimmer with a GFO Reactor and a Carbon Reactor in the 2nd Baffle, then Filter Pads going to the return pump in the 3rd Baffle.

Any Thoughst to remove the Sock and Pads and replace with Chaeto???

Tank is a 112 Gallon with a 40 Gallon Sump
Temp - 78-80
Salinity - .023-.025
Calcium - 420-440
Mag - 1300-1400
Ph - 8.1-.83
Nitrites, Nitrates and Phos all at 0

I feed 1 Cube of frozen Mysis or Brine Shrimp in the AM when my lights come on (9AM) and then again just before they go off (8PM)

I change the water with Fresh RO/DI Saltwater every week by replacing 10 Gallons.
I was also cleaning the Sock and Pads too, but was told its ok to just replace them Once a Month???

I included Pics of the Slime before I cleaned the Tank and then Pics of the Tank after it was cleaned as well as Pics of My Sump...

Any thoughts on my set up or what I can do to make the system run better would be Much Appreciated...

Thanx

saltysailor2329
07/10/2011, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty new to this as well and it looks like cyano bacteria to me. I had some awhile ago and was able to get rid of it by direct removal, water changes and better water movement. Based on my research here on RC it is caused by elevated phosphates...get the phosphates down and it gets rid of the cyano. Just my $.02

J-Burns
07/10/2011, 10:47 PM
Probably because of the frozen food. You need to thaw it and rinse it before dropping it in the tank. Is your skimmer pulling much out? If you don't have any pick up 50 or so assorted snails. Make sure to get some that stir the sand and some that eat off the walls. LFS should have some.

PaulFMcG
07/10/2011, 11:22 PM
Salty Sailor...my phosphates are at 0 as im running GFO ...so I can most likely scratch that off the list...but possibly I need another powerhead for more flow
..I will try that

J-Burns...I never thought of rinsing the food 1st...that is an interesting thought...I will look into that too.

Does anyone have thoughts about adding Chaeto to the sump?

hamiltonguy
07/10/2011, 11:51 PM
Firstly, welcome to Reef Central!

Your phosphates might be showing up 0 because the cyano is just consuming it but you are running GFO so that should help.

+1 on rinsing the food. Unless it's home made food, always thaw and rinse the shrimp before adding it to the tank.

Next time you do a water change, siphon out some of the cyano as well and definitely get more flow closer to where it is growing. Flow isn't ALWAYS the issue but if all other methods fail, increasing flow will most likely work.

There's no harm in getting chaeto. Just make sure you get the proper lighting: 15-20W CFL (compact fluorescent) @ 5500K - 6500K.

Keep us posted on the results.

PaulFMcG
07/11/2011, 12:04 AM
Thanx Hamilton...I appreciate the feedback and will give it shot. I do siphon out the cyano and it came back within a few days...but im hoping it just needs a few more times to cure.
Thanx again...and of course im always open to any further suggestions.

jwoyshnar
07/11/2011, 08:58 AM
Could also be your lighting. I have been battling this for a whille now in my one tank. The bulbs are getting old.

PaulFMcG
07/11/2011, 09:19 AM
Thanx Jwoyshnar, I heard that too...BUT the lights "should" be new since its a pretty new set up...BUt of course you never know...
I will use that as an idea too once I go through these other steps...
Thanx for the advice...I appreciate it =)

stingythingy45
07/11/2011, 09:36 AM
How many fish,critters?
2 cubes of mysis or brine(useless for nutrition) is too much.imo
Unfortunately cyano is most often just part of the tank stabalizing.
I haven't had a tank that didn't have some kind of bloom around the 3 month mark.

PaulFMcG
07/11/2011, 01:43 PM
I have: 1 Clown, 1 Sailfin Tang, 1 Butterfly, 1 Flame Angel, 1 Scooter Blenny and then quite a few assorted crabs...
They Gobble the food up pretty quickly...
I guess i will just give it time and try to redirect some more flow as well as rinse the frozen food before feeding...

Thanx Everyone