PDA

View Full Version : Lemmie see everyone's dottybacks

Crawdawg
07/10/2011, 05:11 PM
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n589/CrawDawg13/IMG_2725.jpg

This is one of two arabian's that live in my 65.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n589/CrawDawg13/IMG_2483-1.jpg

This is my Orchid, she live's in my Biocube14.

I'm crazy about these fish and wish I could have more....

So lemmie see eveyones's dottybacks.

Crawdawg
07/10/2011, 07:04 PM
Nobody keeps dottybacks?

snorvich
07/11/2011, 04:34 AM
Nobody keeps dottybacks?

The problem is that they are highly aggressive and will kill most fish, especially in a smallish tank. Least aggressive is probably P. fridmani

rachenbrazil
07/11/2011, 09:23 AM
These are cool. 2 neon in 65 ...well you are lucky...I tried to pair off 2 in 200 but no sucess at all, so now only 1 with a frid in my tank... maybe will remove it and add more frid to group them

Frid are cool and a friend of mine keep a small 7 fishes grop in 300 g tank and are really nice after 1 year together...

snorvich
07/11/2011, 09:37 AM
I too like P. fridmani but have never tried to group them. Any hostility?

LemonLemon
07/11/2011, 09:42 AM
This is my dottyback.

Pseudochromis tapeinosoma. a rare species. seldom collected.

unfortunately, the colour turned from bright yellow to a dull brown under strong metal halides.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8783/16815247848530243370776.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/16815247848530243370776.jpg/)

snorvich
07/11/2011, 11:28 AM
That is a really cool fish which I have never seen for sale.

Sheol
07/11/2011, 05:29 PM
Wow, where did you find one of those?! Unusual doesn't touch it, LemonLemon, that is a glorious fish. Sorry to hear about the color loss..
BTW, that Arabian is insane! Too bad they are one of the more belligerent Dotties..
Sadly, recently, I've had a run of bad luck with Pseudochromids. I'm not sure why, though perhaps I should have a long heart-to-heart with my T. lunare Wrasse. Could just be the natural enmity between those two groups of fish. But actually, my bad luck with them started about the time of my 36 Gallon tank crash, long before the lunare was around. When my very beloved Sankey's Dottyback vanished. That one was pretty peaceful for a Dotty..
My last try was a Diadem, it vanished too.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Moort82
07/12/2011, 01:42 AM
You can see my dotty in my avatar. Its a springers and it is such a peaceful species. I even know someone who has kept a breeding pair in with seahorses and pipes and they caused no problems what so ever.

snorvich
07/12/2011, 06:42 AM
You can see my dotty in my avatar. Its a springers and it is such a peaceful species. I even know someone who has kept a breeding pair in with seahorses and pipes and they caused no problems what so ever.

Wish I could fine one here.

LemonLemon
07/12/2011, 07:11 AM
sheol -

this dottyback is obtainable from the indo-pacific. it's quite wide ranging, but rare. very rare. i've only seen it a few times here and only in onesies and twosies. i wrote an article on glassbox design about this fish before.

but if you ever find one, do note that strong lights will reduce the colour to a boring brown. the old colourful specimen i had is now not colourful anymore. but it's very peaceful and does well in my 186 gal tank with a flavivertex dottyback.

snorvich
07/12/2011, 07:45 AM
Nice to know about the lights.

LemonLemon
07/12/2011, 10:13 AM
Nice to know about the lights.

i notice this with certain fishes too.

certain wrasses will turn black under strong halides. such as the naoko's fairy and condei's fairy wrasse. as will multicolor angels and potter's

SecretiveFish
07/13/2011, 09:26 AM
We recently got a yellow psuedochromis. Since the tank he was gotten for has not cycled yet and with him is living in another tank's sump, I can't get a good picture!

Not trying to derail this thread, but what are suitable fish tank mates for these guys? Can they go with bigger fish like triggers or will they be food?

Sheol
07/13/2011, 05:22 PM
Its actually better to keep most of them with fish that are larger than they are. Even so, some like the Neon's still can be nasty. However, they do make interesting additions to an aggressive tank.
LemonLemon: I've heard that color fading in Dotty's was more related to diet, than lighting. But you may have a point! Its unlikely I'll see one in the US anyway. Too bad!
Actually, my curse seems to involve Purple and yellow fish. Of all types. In the early days, all my attempts at the "easy to Keep" Royal gramma failed. Never had one survive past a month. :) I thought Dottyback's being more aggressive and hardy fish would be exempt. NO. Curse the curse. Why cannot I break this string of bad luck?

Matthew

ssavader
07/13/2011, 08:10 PM
My Arabian- totally cool fish, very alert, very curious.

WuHT
07/13/2011, 09:46 PM
how well do dottybacks do in larger aquariums (100 gallon+) with larger angels, tangs etc?

My orchid seems to always stay about and inch away from the rocks, so I don't always get to see him as much as I'd like.

Crawdawg
07/13/2011, 10:07 PM
Ya, my orchid is very shy, comes out mostly under just actinics. My arabians don't bother any of my other fish, which is a pair of clowns, a YWG, and a filefish. They are extremely curious, and slip into the smallest live rock holes. They are both tank raised, which is supposed to make a difference to temperment, but idk. So far they are peacful, but a little belligerent to each other. That is supposed to subside once dominance has been established, we'll see.

They chase each other at times, and swim around exploring together at times.

Those are some nice pics too. It's crazy how variable fish behavior can be.

Crawdawg
07/13/2011, 10:09 PM
This is my dottyback.

Pseudochromis tapeinosoma. a rare species. seldom collected.

That fish is amazing, sorry about the color loss.