PDA

View Full Version : T 5s

phillipstreeter
07/10/2011, 05:44 PM
can you run T 5s on icecap ballast, if so witch 660 ,430

gonpostal
07/10/2011, 06:06 PM
Yes. The 430 will run 2 bulbs (AFAIK), and the 660 will run 4 bulbs.

rtparty
07/10/2011, 07:32 PM
You can run them on both models. Just be aware that the bulbs will be overdriven and you will kill bulb life.

The best t5s to run on ice cap ballasts are the 60" bulbs. They seem to last a little longer then the shorter lengths. I don't recommend using ice cap ballasts unless you have a bunch sitting around and don't mind changing bulbs about every 7 months.

Also you need to make sure and cool them properly or you will be replacing bulbs even more often.

phillipstreeter
07/11/2011, 09:08 PM
i just have about 8 ballast not being used...i could even get rid of my vhos... so thanks...

chrisv
07/11/2011, 10:08 PM
you know--- I just bought a T-5 setup to replace my actinics...using my icecap 430.

I have to say, I am horribly disappointed by the quality of the light the same "super actinic" bulb produces compared to my vho super actinic. Its like a jazz band without a bass player. the colors just dont pop the way they do with the super actinic vho.

When these bulbs die, I will replace them with more VHOs. bummer. Just goes to show you that fads can last a long time and people are hardly ever willing to admit that their progress was progress in the wrong direction. Yes the t-5 actinic was a cool toy/upgrade in concept... but its one i wish i hadnt messed with. they are not so bad that I am planning to toss them, but when they die i wont buy new ones...

rtparty
07/11/2011, 11:13 PM
you know--- I just bought a T-5 setup to replace my actinics...using my icecap 430.

I have to say, I am horribly disappointed by the quality of the light the same "super actinic" bulb produces compared to my vho super actinic. Its like a jazz band without a bass player. the colors just dont pop the way they do with the super actinic vho.

When these bulbs die, I will replace them with more VHOs. bummer. Just goes to show you that fads can last a long time and people are hardly ever willing to admit that their progress was progress in the wrong direction. Yes the t-5 actinic was a cool toy/upgrade in concept... but its one i wish i hadnt messed with. they are not so bad that I am planning to toss them, but when they die i wont buy new ones...

It is pretty known that VHO actinic is still king.

Running an actinic on an Ice Cap is a bad idea as well. Actinic bulbs do not do well when over driven. Cooling and reflectors can also play a big role.

chrisv
07/12/2011, 12:45 AM
Actinic bulbs do not do well when over driven.

Why is that?

Cooling and reflectors can also play a big role.

I did opt for some decent reflectors, but I really think this is a spectrum issue.

rtparty
07/12/2011, 09:43 AM
Why is that?

I did opt for some decent reflectors, but I really think this is a spectrum issue.

Ice Cap ballasts overdrive the bulbs (push them harder then they were designed to be pushed). Kind of like running your car right at red line the whole time you drive it.

The blue and actinic phosphors are the weakest phosphors and don't do well when pushed that hard.

The best reflectors are either ATI or LET. Tek and others fall short by quite a bit but I don't see that as an issue for you.

If you are set on running the IC ballasts I would at least change the bulbs out to some ATI Blue Plus and make sure you have some fans cooling them down.