PDA

View Full Version : Sump/Amiricle filter question

zues2006
07/11/2011, 11:57 AM
I've got a small sump/Amiricle filter that holds approx. 7 - 9 gallons of water. It has 3 seperate chambers similiar to a sump. It has the first input chamber, where the small skimmer is located. Then the middle chamber, I filled with about 5-7 lbs of DRY rock. And finally the 3rd chamber is my return chamber that I have a pump attached to a Phosphate removing canister with media, and of course the return pump.
Currently, I'm trying to cycle my rock. The above description is everything I have set up for the sump/filter. It is currently NOT setup to my DT. The return pump is just pumping water through a line back into the first chamber. Do I need a source of light to cycle the rock? I've been running the sump/filter for 2 months now. I have not done any water changes, and after doing some reading, it appears I should be doing some water changes. Other then water changes, and testing the water parameters in the sump/filter, is there anything else I should do before I hook the return line from the sump to my DT?