PDA

View Full Version : Proflex model 3 sump "lets see yours!"

scarface70706
07/11/2011, 05:13 PM
hey guys i have a proflex model 3 sump. i was wondering if you guys can post pics of your model 3 sump since i trying to get an idea of what kind of protein skimmer i can get in the third section. any other info would be great. i'm looking for a good quality skimmer thats quiet as well. i have a reef ready 90 gal aqueon tank. im only going to have soft corals and fish. any sudgestions would be great my ears are open.

lacosta28
07/11/2011, 05:49 PM
Everything you need to know about this sump is in this thread along with plenty of pictures and different setups including mine :D http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1974197&highlight=aqueon

Reefer1225
07/11/2011, 06:09 PM
I have an Aqueon 90 gallon reef ready. I highly recommend going for the Proflex Model 4 Sump. I was going to get the Model 3 but it was too small in the third section to fit the skimmers I wanted. I wanted the Reef Octopus SRO XP2000, I think. The footprint was too big. I ended up getting the SWC 160 skimmer, which works great and is dead quiet, more importantly way cheaper than the Reef Octopus.

Here is a pic when I first installed.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4576&pictureid=31646

The middle section is now my refugium, which holds live rock and chaeto.

Hope this helps.

EDIT - Sorry, misread. You already got the Proflex Model 3. I think a SRO XS160 would fit

scarface70706
07/11/2011, 09:28 PM
would the swc fit in a model 3? i already got the model 3 so id hate to return it

scarface70706
07/11/2011, 09:53 PM
Thank you alot for the link bro. really helped out alot. im just wondering which skimmer i want now. the swc or octopus. pretty much trying to figure out which one is better and quieter.

lacosta28
07/12/2011, 09:34 AM
I can't speak for the SWC but I have the Octopus xs 160 and that skimmer works great. I have not had any issues with it and the collection cup always has dark almost black stuff that gets pulled out of the water. After a few weeks it started producing this nice thick foam.

Reefer1225
07/12/2011, 12:15 PM
would the swc fit in a model 3? i already got the model 3 so id hate to return it

The SWC might be a really tight fit because the third chamber in the Model 3 is a lot smaller than the Model 4. If you can return it, I would. The bigger the sump the better. I know its a hassle to do so, but down the line you will want to add more things in your sump. I fit my skimmer, return pump, and my BRS Carbon/GFO Dual Reactor input and output lines in that third chamber with a Maxijet pump. Way down the line you might want to get dosing pumps or a calcium reactor, so its always good to have more room in the sump.

Can't go wrong with the Reef Octopus series, it was just a matter of cost savings for me. The SWC was a lot cheaper, and it does the job. I felt that I was buying the brand name in Reef Octopus b/c they have a lot more name recognition as they've been around longer. They have excellent pumps for their skimmers. I heard that they could be loud though. The SWC also got a lot of recommendations here in Reef Central, so I just went with that and used the money I saved for corals ;).

scarface70706
07/15/2011, 11:47 AM
yea i just called my local fish store and replacing the model 3 with the model 4. thanks for the heads up. now the question is.... will the model 4 sump fit in the modern series black stand for the 90 gal?

scarface70706
07/15/2011, 12:23 PM
so my LFS contacted me and said the model 4 might be just a little too wide for the 90 gal stand. im getting the modern series black stand to go with my tank. has anyone fit their model 4 under this particular stand?