PDA

View Full Version : Pairing Harlequin Shrimp

KillerReef
07/11/2011, 06:41 PM
Ok, about a week ago, I got a harlequin shrimp and a CC star for it to eat. I had read that they will immobilize the starfish, so not to worry about it eating my polyps. Well, in my observations, I have seen that a single shrimp has trouble with keeping the starfish down. So I am thinking I would like to get another one, but want to make sure they are compatible and will tackle the star together.
I think I have a female, but not sure? When it comes out in the open, I will try to get a pic of it. Also, do I need to get another of the same color? Or can I get a red one? Thanks, Dave

KillerReef
07/12/2011, 02:22 PM
Anybody?

sjmantis
07/12/2011, 05:25 PM
Does he chase it around the tank haha. Keeping posted

KillerReef
07/12/2011, 09:53 PM
Actually the starfish escaped and climbed up my overflow. It came back down to about 2-3" above the sand, and the harlequin is sitting about 2" away ready to pounce once it ventures all the way down.

Tomorrow, I plan to remove the star to the sump and just cut off a leg once a week to feed the shrimp. Unfortunately, nobody has responded about what to look for in a second shrimp so I don't know what to get. Hopefully someone will chime in...

asid61
07/12/2011, 10:40 PM
Keep in mind two shrimps will need twice as much food, and your LFS may not have that many starfishes.

cwoods8
07/12/2011, 11:17 PM
Does the underside (tail) have the same coloration as the body, a continuation of the spots?...
If so it is a female, a male's underside is white or clear...

KillerReef
07/12/2011, 11:22 PM
Keep in mind two shrimps will need twice as much food, and your LFS may not have that many starfishes.
Thanks, yeah , I talked to them when I first got this one and they have them in all of the time. Good call on the double food...
Does the underside (tail) have the same coloration as the body, a continuation of the spots?...
If so it is a female, a male's underside is white or clear...

Thanks, I will try to get a look when the lights are on tomorrow...