PDA

View Full Version : Cross Hatch Trigger?

snorvich
07/12/2011, 06:38 AM
Anyone keeping this fish? Any experiences would be appreciated. :hmm5:

ccampbell57
07/12/2011, 07:22 AM
I have had 3 (sold my pair prior to the 600 going up)

They are spectacular fish but I would pit them on the same level of activeness as a large tang (sohal or clown) where it paces the tank all day long.

IME you need to keep you water temps in the low to mid 70's and have lots of hiding space for them.

I think 180-220g is bare minimum for one of these fish.

snorvich
07/12/2011, 07:42 AM
I keep my tanks at 76F so that is not a problem. I don't know that I would want the level of activity of a Sohal tang or equivalent however. Thanks for the info Chris!

mfish1
07/12/2011, 07:48 AM
I'd like to say 240-300 is better for a pair.
Really nice.

D5HP
07/12/2011, 07:53 AM
Any take on having one vs. a pair?

The pair on DD right now is mind blowing...

Yurivd
07/12/2011, 08:39 AM
I have had 3 (sold my pair prior to the 600 going up)

They are spectacular fish but I would pit them on the same level of activeness as a large tang (sohal or clown) where it paces the tank all day long.

IME you need to keep you water temps in the low to mid 70's and have lots of hiding space for them.

I think 180-220g is bare minimum for one of these fish.

Have you ever had a goldenback
I remember that the written sum where that crosshatches hide a lot are goldenbacks the same

snorvich
07/12/2011, 10:38 AM
I'd like to say 240-300 is better for a pair.
Really nice.

Yeah, this is for a 350 g

snorvich
07/12/2011, 10:39 AM
Any take on having one vs. a pair?

The pair on DD right now is mind blowing...

That is what is causing my itch. :D

MrTuskfish
07/12/2011, 11:09 AM
That's a big, beautiful pair on DD. Hawaiian fish are supposed to do better at slightly lower temps, like ccampbell57 said; but I've always kept Hawaiian fish at normal DT temps with a lot of success. The pair I've had for about 5 yrs now is in a 240 and the temp is usually about 77-79. I had pair that, Katrina got, for about 7 years under similar conditions. I always gradually raise temps on Hawaiian fish in QT to match my DT. I know this is silly feel-good stuff, those fish took eons to adapt to the slightly cooler water---but it gives me a cheap excuse. I love these fish, real crowd pleases; and I've never seen a pic that does them justice. Very undemanding fish too, IME&IMO.
Mine have always loved getting an occasional live fish, like any trigger.

kinlayan
07/12/2011, 11:24 AM
beautiful fish, i recently lost my female though after 2 and half years, the culprit a tongue eating parasitic isopod , i dont think it could make it to the triggers mouth and ended up killing her it was very big in comparison to the gill opening and mouth.

crvz
07/12/2011, 02:48 PM
beautiful fish, i recently lost my female though after 2 and half years, the culprit a tongue eating parasitic isopod , i dont think it could make it to the triggers mouth and ended up killing her it was very big in comparison to the gill opening and mouth.

I've seen some images of this parasite... terrifying.

Snorvich, if you needed some prodding, I'm sure you need a pair of these. ;)

SDguy
07/12/2011, 02:57 PM
A local here had one (maybe a pair, I don't recall). It ate small fish, including anthias and firefish. VERY active fish.

albano
07/12/2011, 03:04 PM
A local here had one (maybe a pair, I don't recall). It ate small fish, including anthias and firefish. VERY active fish.
+1 ... a local vendor here in NY, had a few pairs, 2-3 months ago...I was set to get a pr. for my 450g DT...BUT the guys before, all had to pull the triggers out...too aggressive/killing smaller fish!

They are OFF my 'want list' for now!

snorvich
07/12/2011, 03:11 PM
So very tempting but I have an approach avoidance conflict with them.

jd474
07/12/2011, 07:55 PM
I kept a few pairs short-term during my retail/maintenance days. Sometimes they were very slow to accept food, live or dead, and were very reclusive, especially the bigger specimens. Once acclimated, they were very hardy however. I also kept a large female in a 10K gal, and it paced the glass constantly, so they are very, very active. The pair on DD are spectacular.

29reef
07/13/2011, 01:39 PM
The only negative that has t been mentioned is how triggers will swim against the front of the tank, over time it will ruin an acrylic DT a it leaves small scratches all over the place.

Amazing looking fish for sure! IMO they are better suited for a large FOWLR.

albano
07/13/2011, 02:15 PM
The only negative that has not been mentioned is how triggers will swim against the front of the tank, over time it will ruin an acrylic DT a it leaves small scratches all over the place.

Tangs will do the same...it's their version of a prisoner banging his cup on the steel bars!

D5HP
07/13/2011, 03:44 PM
Any issues keeping them with established cleaner and fire shrimp or smaller fish?

MrTuskfish
07/13/2011, 05:05 PM
Any issues keeping them with established cleaner and fire shrimp or smaller fish?

I wouldn't trust any trigger with any shrimp or small fish. I've heard some success stories, but the cleaner had to have his station set up before the triggers. Even then, I think you'd need a lot of luck. My Crosshatches (same for the pair I had before Katrina) will eat any invert or small fish (say, 3" or less) they can. These are fairly "nice guys" for triggers; but they're still triggers, especially my male. Triggers from this group spend a lot of time in the wild just poking around rafts of sargassum and other weed. They eat anything that pops out; crabs, shrimp, fish, etc.

+1 on the glass/acrylic scraping. Most Harlequin Tusks are another species would destroy most acrylic tanks with those beautiful blue choppers.

64Ivy
07/14/2011, 04:58 AM

I watched mine eat a Green Chromis and Borbonius Anthias alive. Before I could remove them, the female jumped. This seemed to calm the male down somewhat but I traded him in nonetheless. No more triggers for me right now.

Yurivd
07/14/2011, 08:08 AM
I will let you guys know how my goldenback will do he is 30cm(12inch) and eats 4 blocks of frozen trigger formula he is to big for my curent tank so he will stay in my friends LFS display tank 3000L (790g)
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/Yurivd/6efcd901.jpg

ccampbell57
07/14/2011, 11:05 AM
Yuri - Great looking trigger. The only reason I have never kept a GB trigger is the fact that they come in 12+". I had a chance at one that was 6" and passed due to my current tank mates. GB triggers are VERY active and due to the deep waters they are caught in deserve colder 70 an below temps.

In addition, I think that the 700g tank will be the only one inwould put a full grown GB in with a ton of rocks for him to hide.

Amazing specimen though! Good luck

Yurivd
07/14/2011, 01:15 PM
Yuri - Great looking trigger. The only reason I have never kept a GB trigger is the fact that they come in 12+". I had a chance at one that was 6" and passed due to my current tank mates. GB triggers are VERY active and due to the deep waters they are caught in deserve colder 70 an below temps.

In addition, I think that the 700g tank will be the only one inwould put a full grown GB in with a ton of rocks for him to hide.

Amazing specimen though! Good luck
Tanks it is good news that is the size tank I want to build
I already have the chiller 3hp

He has now been in SA for about 4 weeks doing really good