PDA

View Full Version : HELP! my 3 yr old stiped up my subsrae with he magnet cleaner

stl fish spot
07/12/2011, 05:38 PM
are my fish in danger my tank is 1 month old. what should i do...

Gary Majchrzak
07/12/2011, 05:41 PM
nothing is going to die because of this.

Move the magnet to a secure spot so junior can't reach it.
Cleaning magnets can hurt kids.

thegrun
07/12/2011, 06:02 PM
On a side note, kids also love to clean the sides of the tank with the cleaner, unfortunately they often pick-up grains of sand that will scratch glass as well as acrylic (a hard lesson to learn). Best to remove the cleaner after use.

albano
07/12/2011, 06:05 PM
On a side note, kids also love to clean the sides of the tank with the cleaner, unfortunately they often pick-up grains of sand that will scratch glass as well as acrylic (a hard lesson to learn). Best to remove the cleaner after use.
+1 magnets attract 'helpers'....remove them from sight!

ed102475
07/12/2011, 06:18 PM
+1 magnets attract 'helpers'....remove them from sight!

+2 Hide it !
My little bugger picker will scrach up my glass every chance he gets . I hide it on the back glass of the tank .
P.S. he don't pick his buggers I was joking .:worried::deadhorse:

TellyFish
07/12/2011, 07:39 PM
Heck, I hide it when my adult friends come over...

papagimp
07/13/2011, 01:48 AM
Heck, I hide it when my adult friends come over...

+1 on this lol

My little booger picker (and yes he does) recently took my mag float over the front of my empty and dried out 220 and scratched the front viewing pane nicely in one small area, before pulling the magnet off and letting the inside piece fall away. This is when I caught him smacking the magnet against the glass with all he had to get it to stick again. doubtful he's got the mucles to break the glass but can't say that for my smaller tanks.

LPSGurl
07/13/2011, 04:52 AM
Yup! They are magnets for kids! And some adults, except for my husband, I can keep the cleaner right in the front of the tank eye level, and he won't get the hint!! :)

Christina

reefmanmatt
07/13/2011, 05:03 AM
Yup! They are magnets for kids! And some adults, except for my husband, I can keep the cleaner right in the front of the tank eye level, and he won't get the hint!! :)

Christina hahaha , i cant stop cleaning mine ! i wish i had his discipline ... is it your tank or both of yours ?? i wouldnt touch the wife's mag either , thats asking for it !!!

PCFisher66
07/13/2011, 07:22 AM
When I had tanks years ago my my kids where always messing with it. Now, I've told them HANDS OFF! Of course for some reason when their friend come our they feel compled to help out, my kids say "My dad says leave it alone". But as others have said no worries, and it probably won't be the last time.

ryeguyy84
07/13/2011, 07:29 AM
Is the tank even cycled enough to worry about moving the sand bed?

Sk8r
07/13/2011, 08:38 AM
Because your tank is new (in this forum I assume so) a stir-up is not as serious. One in a tank that's been running a few years is scarier, because you can get a real mess. Just put in a particulate filter if you've got one handy and a place to put it, and let it settle.

Test it several times over the next few days, and if you get an adverse reading, do a 10% water change.

Having a bottle of Amquel in the house is good: it can remove ammonia from a functioning reef without damaging anything. If you do have an incident, it'll be there.

And I'd recommend taking the kid's interest and turning it to benefit: tell him you'll teach him how to care for the tank, but he has to do it ONLY while you're there. He can learn how to use the magnet, how to go slowly, how much to feed, etc. You've got a good tanksitter in training there if you can teach him. That way if you catch the flu and are lying inert for days, you can tell him to do certain things and not worry.

Sk8r
07/13/2011, 08:38 AM
Because your tank is new (in this forum I assume so) a stir-up is not as serious. One in a tank that's been running a few years is scarier, because you can get a real mess. Just put in a particulate filter if you've got one handy and a place to put it, and let it settle.

Test it several times over the next few days, and if you get an adverse reading, do a 10% water change.

Having a bottle of Amquel in the house is good: it can remove ammonia from a functioning reef without damaging anything. If you do have an incident, it'll be there.

And I'd recommend taking the kid's interest and turning it to benefit: tell him you'll teach him how to care for the tank, but he has to do it ONLY while you're there. He can learn how to use the magnet, how to go slowly, how much to feed, etc. You've got a good tanksitter in training there if you can teach him. That way if you catch the flu and are lying inert for days, you can tell him to do certain things and not worry.