PDA

View Full Version : best way to deaminate live rock

btgulledge
07/13/2011, 01:42 AM
Hi, don't know if deaminate is the right word for it but I would like suggestions on killing everything on my 90lbs of rock so I can keep them untill I'm ready to use them again. I got 30 days notice to move out today and I'm going to wait until I own a place before I set it back up. I have a lot of coraline algae and when I use it again I don't want a ton of dead stuff clogging things up. I have a problem with ae nudibrach and aptasia, so I really want a fresh start. So maybe my landlord getting foreclosed on is the best for all, The rocks I have are so perfect for aqusacing, I will not give them up, but I can't use them. I want to put them in a rubbermaid dry, any suggestions???

I feel like an idiot cause this is one of my first posts and I'm asking how to take my tank down. but what can you do???

fireball198
07/13/2011, 01:45 AM
just put them in the Rubbermaid let dry in the sun till they don't smell anymore and store where every you can after that.
welcome to R.c and i guess good bye for now lol.

obaptista
07/13/2011, 06:35 AM
I've done this successfully, twice. Each time I reused the rock. Place all the rock in a container like a tank, or trash can that is not contaminated. Fill with tap water and 5% Chlorine bleach and a power head. Clorox or other brand. Make sure it does not have any softeners or color savers or extras. Plain bleach. Forget about the setup for 24 hours. Drain. They should not smell of anything but chlorine. If not, rinse and repeat:-). Drain and refill with tap water. Remove any organics that are loose or have fallen off. Wait at least 24 hrs. Drain and put the rocks in direct sunlight till dry. Wait till they do not smell of chlorine. Store in open container because it is likely they are not all dry yet.

HTH

PCFisher66
07/13/2011, 07:57 AM
Yep, the sun is your friend.