PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for a 55gal?

TheFisheye
07/13/2011, 02:25 PM
Hey all...I currently maintain a tank at my office(in my signature), and it's doing excellent...however, my brother is giving me a 55gal freshwater setup that i am going to turn into a reef tank at home...my question is, what do i need to make that work...the tank is not drilled, but there is room for a sump...and the tank is glass, so I don't know about drilling it...any advice would be great...i know some of you have 50ish gal setups, just wondering what will work without the overkill that i have on my 180gal...thanks in advance

Orcrone
07/13/2011, 02:38 PM
Hey all...I currently maintain a tank at my office(in my signature), and it's doing excellent...however, my brother is giving me a 55gal freshwater setup that i am going to turn into a reef tank at home...my question is, what do i need to make that work...the tank is not drilled, but there is room for a sump...and the tank is glass, so I don't know about drilling it...any advice would be great...i know some of you have 50ish gal setups, just wondering what will work without the overkill that i have on my 180gal...thanks in advance

My first saltwater tank that I used until a year ago was an undrilled 55 gallon tank. No sump, no overflow. Just used an HOB filter, HOB skimmer and live rock. Not the most sophisticated system but it worked just fine. As long as the glass is not tempered it should be able to be drilled or you can purchase an HOB overflow unit so you have several options if you wish to use a sump.