PDA

View Full Version : bleach in my bucket

zach jay
07/14/2011, 03:03 PM
most likely I'm going to stop using it for fish tank water transfers, but I just want to make sure.

I was bottling some of my homebrew the other day and cleaning out the fermenters. I had a cloth soaked in half bleach half water that I used to wipe down some equipment. while I was rinsing it, I realized some of the crap fell into my trusty ol' fish bucket.

is there anything I can do so I don't have to buy a new one (not that they're so much money or anything, just a matter of convenience). the bucket initially smelled a little of bleach. can I just rinse it out with vinegar, or just toss it. thanks!

wes1333
07/14/2011, 03:42 PM
Id personally just toss it.

disc1
07/14/2011, 03:54 PM
Id personally just toss it.

No way!!!

Give it a good rinse with cold water, then let it air dry. By the time it is dry, all the chlorine will have evaporated away. No problem. I bleach out my water containers all the time.

EllieSuz
07/14/2011, 04:53 PM
+1. Bleach evaporates. That's why we can wash filter socks in bleach. Once your pail is dry, it's good to go.

aleonn
07/14/2011, 05:23 PM
Many reefers use diluted bleach to clean calcium/coralline deposits on pumps and equipment (I use diluted vinegar, while others use muriatic acid). As long as it's rinsed and air dried, you'll have no problems.

jimmyj7090
07/14/2011, 06:32 PM
Yup, rinse well and air dry until the smell is gone.

I just bleached one of my water change buckets intentionally a few minutes ago. It's fine :)

0 tds
07/14/2011, 06:59 PM
Agree, just to be sure I would do a final rinse with RODI water and then dry in direct sun if you can.

zach jay
07/14/2011, 07:30 PM
awesome thanks guys! I've been using the same bucket for the past 3 years, it fits perfectly under my stand, in my cabinets, in my rodi storage, etc. haha. although if I was going to ruin it, at least it was by making some delicious beers haha. good to know it's still good to go

aleonn
07/14/2011, 11:51 PM
Always good to play it safe in this hobby :)