PDA

View Full Version : Dozer and Seachem Reefbuilder and Adv. Calcium

skidrow52
07/15/2011, 06:23 AM
I dose daily 1tsp of Reef Builder to keep up with Alkalinity levels, 1tsp raises 7ppm in my 150g tank as 7pm is my daily Alkalinity depletion rate, I lose 25ppm calcium in 5-6 days in my tank and I dose 5.7 tsp of Seachem's Reef Adv. Caclium weekly which raises 20ppm Calcium.

All this work is done manually with all the mixing and dripping work, I am planning to buy a dozer pump with 3 channels, since lose calcium is not available locally here easily so I just use Seachem products, Can anyone tell me how can I make a solution for both builder and calcium which will cover my needs, how much ml will I have to doze daily?

Seachem's direction only includes calculation for autotop off.

HighlandReefer
07/15/2011, 05:27 PM
The easiest way I can tell you would be to add 5.7 tsp of Seachem's Reef Adv. Calcium to a container and slowly fill it with rodi water, while stirring it, until all the calcium chloride dissolves in it. That is the minimum amount of fluid you need to add to your system per day. Then take the amount of water that you used for the calcium and fill a container with it. Add the 1tsp of Reef Builder to that volume of rodi water and see if it all dissolves. If not, add some more rodi water until all of the reef builder dissolves.

AT that point you know the minimum amount of water volume for each you need to use per day. You can add more water to each to get it to work with your dosing pump (using the same dry volume). You can't exceed the total evaporation rate of your tank system per day.

HTH ;)

bertoni
07/15/2011, 09:08 PM
You probably could use the BRS formula for soda ash and calcium choride with the SeaChem products, and come fairly close. You might need to do a bit of tweaking, but it shouldn't be too hard.

skidrow52
07/16/2011, 04:22 AM
Thanks bertoni and Highlandreefer, I will test and try! :)

Its very expensive to keep this hobby running in this part of the world where you have limited stuff available locally, we pay double the price of items importing from US with heavy shipping costs!

HighlandReefer
07/16/2011, 02:58 PM
You're welcome. ;)

Perhaps there is food grade sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride at a cheaper price somewhere closer? There are distributors in China.