PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Alpha 200 Skimmer Help

jsbzmcdaniel
07/15/2011, 11:18 AM
Hey guys need some help. I purchased a preowned Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer and need some help setting it up. The skimmer is installed and running however it seems like the pump pulses and looking at the venturi line I can see water, air, water, air, water, air. I adjusted the skimmer from the red tube to set the water height but other than that I have no clue.

Any ideas??

Mel-E-Mel
07/15/2011, 11:24 AM
Did you check the venturi line for cracks? No water should be in the venturi line and it sounds like some is getting sucked in which may be causing the pulsing.

jsbzmcdaniel
07/15/2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah I pulled out the entire pump and checked everything over. No cracks and its seated good on the pump.

rkaires
07/15/2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701505&page=49

bayoupr
07/15/2011, 03:05 PM
Take the pump apart and check to see if the impeller turns on the shaft. The way to do this is grasp the impeller in one hand and the shaft in the other and see if it turns while applying pressure in opposite directions. If it turns, that's the problem. Dealt with this before on one. Another problem could be a weak motor block. How old is the skimmer and what water level is it running at. One other thing, let it run a couple of days and see if it clears up. Some of these do this when new or have just been cleaned. Go to the Premium Aquatics sponsor forum and submitt your problem there. Jeremy is very knowledgable with these skimmers.

3.99AfterTaxes
07/15/2011, 06:12 PM
How deep is your water? I had that problem and my dealer came over and corrected it by raising my sump level to 10".