PDA

View Full Version : Breaking all The Rules Self Biult 70g Tank Thread

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/15/2011, 04:25 PM
Several people have told me I need to have a tank thread for this tank here on RC. The actual build thread is over on Central Valley Reefers if anyone wants to check it out.

Well to start I built the tank and stand myself to suit what I wanted in a reef tank the Dims are 48x24x14 It is a shallow minimulist tank Mostly stocked with Clams and SPS. I paid a lot of attention under the hood to keep things nice and clean. Here's a video from today and a few pics from under the hood. I will dig up some pics from the tank build and post them at a later date.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg66/cockyassrocky/70%20Gallon%20DIY%20Shallow%20Reef/IMG_0058.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg66/cockyassrocky/70%20Gallon%20DIY%20Shallow%20Reef/IMG_0056.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg66/cockyassrocky/70%20Gallon%20DIY%20Shallow%20Reef/IMG_0057.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg66/cockyassrocky/70%20Gallon%20DIY%20Shallow%20Reef/IMG_0051.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg66/cockyassrocky/70%20Gallon%20DIY%20Shallow%20Reef/IMG_0052.jpg
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yfojC_u7ji4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frick
07/15/2011, 05:04 PM
Looks as complicated but cleaner than my 40. Very nice, more pics. I am liking that sticker by the ReefKeeper too. Where did you get it?

mikimis
07/15/2011, 05:07 PM
I must have that sticker! Where did you get it???

MentalNote
07/15/2011, 06:56 PM
WOW!! I almost didn't click the video link, your tank is truly stunning! One of the most impressive tanks I have seen on here.

I highly recommend that everyone checks out the video.

spartanomega21
07/15/2011, 07:44 PM
LOVE IT!!! clam lover myself

Jaweeha
07/15/2011, 09:40 PM
One of the best tanks on the site!

dvanacker
07/15/2011, 10:33 PM
Nice tank....

what rules are you breaking though?

M007
07/16/2011, 05:21 AM
Nice tank....what rules are you breaking though?

Good question, great tank - love the sticker!

Big E
07/16/2011, 05:32 AM

Calling it minimalist even though it's loaded with clams & corals wall to wall:lol2:

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/16/2011, 10:18 AM
Looks as complicated but cleaner than my 40. Very nice, more pics. I am liking that sticker by the ReefKeeper too. Where did you get it?

I ran across it on ebay and had to have it.

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/16/2011, 11:14 AM
Nice tank....

First off I got a lot of grief from members of my local club about building my own tank. It will leak its to dangerous bla bla it cost $121 in glass compared to leemar's $960 quote looks just as good and been running 6 months without any problems.
Also when I posted I was going to run 1600 gallons an hour through the sump with 2 high head external pumps people had a field day telling me my skimmer would not skim efficiently I would not be able to keep my sand down bla bla. The reason I did it this way was so I did not have to have ugly circulation pumps in the tank I wanted a clean look. I get by with one MP10 and have no problems algae is non existent in this tank I've cleaned the class a whole 3 times in 6 months and that was for coralline.
Then I was told how much overkill 8 t5's where going to be on a 14" tank and I'd burn all my Corals. Yes my PAR is high 400+ on the sandbed in some spots but then again all my corals are healthy happy and growing faster than I've ever seen in any of my other tanks plus I have SPS on the sandbed and thats what I wanted.
Also I like to keep my temp around 83-82 for some reason some people have a problem with this even though its totally acceptable.

Everyone who gave me all this grief in the beginning of this tank have since changed there tunes and give me a lot of props now.

M007
07/16/2011, 11:56 AM
Congrats on rewriting the rules of reef keeping! :D

mikimis
07/16/2011, 02:29 PM
There are so many microcosms in the ocean that you can't set hard and fast rules for tank parameters. The staple parameters that so many people adhere to as dogma serve mostly to increase general survivability and growth. If it works for you, do it!

My thoughts on your higher temperatures are that it will mostly serve to increase the metabolism of your livestock and maybe affect some chemical reactions with low percentages...so what if you have to feed more? You have the filtration to support it!

My only hard and fast rule is if it ain't broke why fix it!

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/16/2011, 07:26 PM
Here's a few pics from the build process. I built my own stand also.

dvanacker
07/16/2011, 07:28 PM
First off I got a lot of grief from members of my local club about building my own tank. It will leak its to dangerous bla bla it cost $121 in glass compared to leemar's $960 quote looks just as good and been running 6 months without any problems.
Also when I posted I was going to run 1600 gallons an hour through the sump with 2 high head external pumps people had a field day telling me my skimmer would not skim efficiently I would not be able to keep my sand down bla bla. The reason I did it this way was so I did not have to have ugly circulation pumps in the tank I wanted a clean look. I get by with one MP10 and have no problems algae is non existent in this tank I've cleaned the class a whole 3 times in 6 months and that was for coralline.
Then I was told how much overkill 8 t5's where going to be on a 14" tank and I'd burn all my Corals. Yes my PAR is high 400+ on the sandbed in some spots but then again all my corals are healthy happy and growing faster than I've ever seen in any of my other tanks plus I have SPS on the sandbed and thats what I wanted.
Also I like to keep my temp around 83-82 for some reason some people have a problem with this even though its totally acceptable.

Everyone who gave me all this grief in the beginning of this tank have since changed there tunes and give me a lot of props now.

Dude ...your just talking to the wrong people...you need to hang out here in the SPS forum more often. Most of us realize that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

blakers82
07/16/2011, 07:49 PM
Cool! Nice display. What's going on with your overflow/returns? Do you have 2 drain lines in the overflow due to GPH? How do you feel noise compared to smaller GPH thru the sump? Also curious about a back siphon when returns are turned off (if your returns are the 2 hard placed Y's 4 inches from top)...They look like a closed loop down there. :spin2:

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/16/2011, 11:45 PM
2 drain hoses and 2 return lines with 2 separate pumps no closed loop.The overflow is very quiet
Lost power a few nights ago water fills to the very top of the sump but does not overflow. On a side not I also have to air pumps connected to my return pumps that inject air 4 times a day for 1 minute. here's a vid of my air injection from back when the tank was a newborn.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y_YxyibL8EI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jc-reef
07/17/2011, 09:28 AM
Interesting. What advantages do you see with air injection into you returns? Any negatives noted?

----

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/17/2011, 12:37 PM
The air injection seems to pick up and carry away any detritus in the tank its amazing how much cleaner my tank became after starting this. Also it causes the SPS to slime and give a skimmer affect the corals seem to love it. Here's a short video taken about a minute after th air injection shut off you can still see waste product being expelled through the overflow imagine how much is being expelled during the injection.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Usig3ntUHEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jc-reef
07/19/2011, 12:22 PM
One could interpret the slimming as a sign of 'stress' or 'defense action' as opposed to corals 'loving it'. Maybe once in a while might seem to be a benefit, but several times a day?

Can you take a few pics of select corals now and again say in a month or so and compare with a pic post (growth, color, PE, stress, ect)??

I'm interested in this as when I do my bi-weekly WC's, I let the sump run dry with the return running while syphoning DT water into a brute can and I turn off the return once I see bubbles get blown into the tank. If I let the bubbles continue to run I see a similar 'slimming' effect like your video. It seemed like a stress / defense action to me....so I turn off pump once I first see bubbles in DT.

I wonder if there are any others that do this and can chime in?

----

Enjoy
07/19/2011, 01:51 PM
Beautiful tank. I am also very curious about the air injection. Would you please share pictures/info on how you set it up? I have also always related SPS slime to unhappy corals or at least defensive corals - not happy corals.
But it is obviously working for you, so share your secrets! :p

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/20/2011, 12:25 AM
Take a look at the video above and then take a look at the first post the date are on the video's You can see the growth rates. I have done picture comparisons in my build thread on CVR everything is explained there. Also you can search Joseph Weatherson 2 time reef central tank of the month. We both live in the same town and I've seen his tank in person he is the mind behind air injecting and I must say its been very successful for both of us.
Heres a link to Joes last TOTM. TOTM April 2008 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1365381)

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/20/2011, 12:40 AM
One could interpret the slimming as a sign of 'stress' or 'defense action' as opposed to corals 'loving it'. Maybe once in a while might seem to be a benefit, but several times a day?

Can you take a few pics of select corals now and again say in a month or so and compare with a pic post (growth, color, PE, stress, ect)??

I'm interested in this as when I do my bi-weekly WC's, I let the sump run dry with the return running while syphoning DT water into a brute can and I turn off the return once I see bubbles get blown into the tank. If I let the bubbles continue to run I see a similar 'slimming' effect like your video. It seemed like a stress / defense action to me....so I turn off pump once I first see bubbles in DT.

I wonder if there are any others that do this and can chime in?

---- You are 100% correct The slimming is caused by tiny bubbles agitating the corals. By loving it I meant since starting the Air injection PE Color and Growth have all improved noticeably. I have also noticed this in my 240g. As far as I know Joseph and myself are the only people doing this right now.

Big E
07/20/2011, 04:18 AM
As far as I know Joseph and myself are the only people doing this right now

There was an RC member that was doing this about 4 or so years ago & he boasted the benefits also. It never caught on as something that was worth the effort. He did a lot of off the wall things with his reefs.

kaserpick
07/20/2011, 11:50 AM
That's a very interesting idea; I used to purposefully expose my corals during weekly water changes, long enough to let them slime over. I always thought of it as a great way to encourage them to expell waste. I never thought about air injection though. I remember seeing Joe's first TOTM thread, gorgeous reef.

Do you see any effects on the fish?

xcorallusx
07/20/2011, 01:22 PM
I have a lot of flow going through my small sump and the only way to get rid of the microbubbles is to keep filter socks. When the filter socks become saturated they release all the bubbles causing this. I dont see how the constant stress would benefit the corals? Whenever I see the microbubbles I just replace the filter socks.

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/20/2011, 01:23 PM
I've seen no change in fish behavior at all.

allsps40
07/20/2011, 07:26 PM
So some of you dont think that there are no bubbles in on the reef when a wave brakes? Seems perfectly natural to me to inject air, could not hurt anything at the least. JMO

Sisterlimonpot
07/20/2011, 07:44 PM
The only thong that may be harmed is sponge. I may have to experiment with this concept on my tank. It'll be interesting to say the least.

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/20/2011, 07:53 PM
I have a lot of flow going through my small sump and the only way to get rid of the microbubbles is to keep filter socks. When the filter socks become saturated they release all the bubbles causing this. I dont see how the constant stress would benefit the corals? Whenever I see the microbubbles I just replace the filter socks.
And I agree constant air injection would be a bad thing that's why its only 4 times a day for 1 minute. Constant lighting is bad also. Let the results speak for itself look at my tank and Joseph Weathersons tank and tell me the corals look unhappy. Its so funny I remember this same exact thing when we stopped using Wet Dry filters people just could not except the idea of the Berlin System.

bif24701
07/20/2011, 10:29 PM
I love to hear new ideas. I am new to the hobby as of Jan 2011 and I always find new things everyday. I really enjoy it.

chrischin29g
07/20/2011, 11:43 PM
Look your tank!! How difficult was building your tank?

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/21/2011, 12:30 AM
nice DIY tank man
Thanks
Look your tank!! How difficult was building your tank? Honesly it was really simple. Prep and clean up where the hardest parts.

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/21/2011, 12:42 AM
WOW!! I almost didn't click the video link, your tank is truly stunning! One of the most impressive tanks I have seen on here.

I highly recommend that everyone checks out the video. That is a big compliment Thank You very much

One of the best tanks on the site!
WOW Thanks your comment and the one above really make me feel I'm on the right track with this tank.
Calling it minimalist even though it's loaded with clams & corals wall to wall:lol2: Ya but when I started is was 3 little islands with a lot of sand bed. There's only around 30lbs of rock in there if that. Then again there's probably 20lbs of clams HMMM now I'm confused:confused:

Big E
07/21/2011, 04:10 AM
Ya but when I started is was 3 little islands with a lot of sand bed. There's only around 30lbs of rock in there if that. Then again there's probably 20lbs of clams HMMM now I'm confused

You littered the sandbed with corals & clams & it killed the look...............no composition is left. The sandbed needs to be around 2/3 open of anything but free space.

In the end it doesn't really matter................it's your tank to do with as you please & if you're happy that's all that counts.

reefsurfing
07/21/2011, 10:07 AM
Guy,

Any chance you would give a walk through of the internals and maybe show off the sump area a little more. I really like your tank and you might have inspiried me to get up and build my own.

Take Care

chrischin29g
07/21/2011, 10:13 AM
You have any pics or video of you building it?

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/21/2011, 12:18 PM
You littered the sandbed with corals & clams & it killed the look...............no composition is left. The sandbed needs to be around 2/3 open of anything but free space.

In the end it doesn't really matter................it's your tank to do with as you please & if you're happy that's all that counts.

I think the look of the tank is pretty Darn good. As far as 2/3 open and the sandbed being littered well I guess that means I broke another rule with great success then. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/21/2011, 12:23 PM
You have any pics or video of you building it?

If you go to Central Valley Reefers I have a pretty extensive build thread there called "DIY 80 Gallon Shallow Tank Build (Uhh 70g now)" yes its true originally it was going to be 80g then I decided to drop 2 inches off the height bringing it down to 70g.

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/21/2011, 12:34 PM
Guy,

Any chance you would give a walk through of the internals and maybe show off the sump area a little more. I really like your tank and you might have inspiried me to get up and build my own.

Take Care

Look at the post above its all there at CVR.

Saulsa
07/21/2011, 03:09 PM
Looks good bud. Hows the eyeball?

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/21/2011, 05:40 PM
Hey Matt it finally stopped hurting today but still looks kind of gnarly. The whole eyeball turned red my kids are calling me Darth Maul

Saulsa
07/22/2011, 12:10 AM
Lol.. first thing i thought of.

http://www.yidio.com/images/article/images/robotchicken.jpeg

regardless of ur T-1000 look, your tank is looking pretty stunning

DML08
07/22/2011, 09:45 PM
CVR Members have been using air injection for some years now.. I use it now on my 115 and I did on my 45G.. Joe really had a awesome idea.. here is a thread from CVR right before I started using air injection from 3 years ago good info and a few good pics of Joe's set up and another members tank..
cvreefers.org/showthread.php?10392-Air-injection&highlight=Air+injection
and a video from Joe's tank with his air injection going...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdXWPRKIIw

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/22/2011, 10:36 PM
WOW Dom I had no idea anyone else on CVR had done Air Injection. I didn't know you had it on your 45g man that was a stunning tank. Can you post a pic of the 45g so people here can see another tank that used Air Injection.

DML08
07/22/2011, 10:38 PM
sure.. pics get better later in the thread...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799627

DML08
07/22/2011, 10:40 PM
Also Steve has something similar, its air bubbles from is surge tank but man is the tank awesome...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798674

smalltime
07/23/2011, 08:39 AM
Love the tank! As for the air injection, I like. Seems the burst of air would dislodge any trapped debri into the water colum to get skimmed out.

Why only 2 fish? They need some friends in there :)

Guy(ReefSmart)
07/23/2011, 10:12 AM
Love the tank! As for the air injection, I like. Seems the burst of air would dislodge any trapped debri into the water colum to get skimmed out.

Why only 2 fish? They need some friends in there :)

There's actually 5 fish in there but I do focus more on the corals and clams with this tank my 240g is full of fish.

Ocellaris Clownfish
ORA Fire Clownfish
Yellow eye Kole Tang
Black Molly
Sail Fin Molly

nolanrob123
07/23/2011, 10:19 AM
I love how your clown fish hangs out next to you when you film. The tank looks great, I love the mature look.