PDA

View Full Version : Soda Ash (baked baking soda) question

EMUReef
07/17/2011, 01:01 AM
This question is for anyone that has gone through the process of making their own 2 part.
My question comes into where you make your own stuff to dose alk.

i got the process down. bake the baking soda for an hour at 300 degrees take the left over stuff and mix it in with a gallon of RO water than your set to use.
suppose to mix 2 1/4 cups.

My question is, if you mix more of the soda ash will the product be higher in dKH? or whatever its called.

or does there just reason a point that no matter how much you add you dont get any higher values out of it.

anyone follow that? lol

PR_Reefers
07/17/2011, 01:14 AM
hey...this article will help you clear up all your question regarding the use of baking soda and more.... but to answer your question the more you add the higher the impact it will have on the aquarium dKh & pH so both will go up!!.. but like I said the article contains much great info ... hope this helps ;)
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

HighlandReefer
07/17/2011, 05:38 AM
My question is, if you mix more of the soda ash will the product be higher in dKH? or whatever its called.

or does there just reason a point that no matter how much you add you dont get any higher values out of it.

anyone follow that? lol

If you are referring to adding more of the soda ash to a gallon than the recipe calls for, then you can only get so much soda ash to dissolve in a gallon of rodi water. Randy's recipe is close to the saturation point, which means you could not get much more soda ash to dissolve. The extra would remain undissolved on the bottom, but if you added the undissolved slurry on the bottom, yes it would add to your alkalinity (dKH) and further increase your pH.

EMUReef
07/17/2011, 09:38 AM
If you are referring to adding more of the soda ash to a gallon than the recipe calls for, then you can only get so much soda ash to dissolve in a gallon of rodi water. Randy's recipe is close to the saturation point, which means you could not get much more soda ash to dissolve. The extra would remain undissolved on the bottom, but if you added the undissolved slurry on the bottom, yes it would add to your alkalinity (dKH) and further increase your pH.

yup thats what i ment thanks ill probably stick to the recommended mixture.

HighlandReefer
07/17/2011, 09:54 AM
You're welcome. ;)

tyler91913
07/17/2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the link, PR Reefer--I had heard about this recipe, but it got lost in the shuffle. I'm going to give it a try this coming weekend.