PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Elegance Coral What type of meaty foods, where to buy?

Essense
07/18/2011, 11:32 AM
I've got a bueaty australian elegance and I had planned on feeding it some of my PE mysis. This one opened up within 20 minutes of placing him in my tank with tentalces of 2"-3" extension. I'm unclear if more flow will cause further extension in the coral.

I have read that it is important to feed the coral meaty foods at least 1x per week and as much as 3x per week. I'm confused on the type of meaty foods as I have not read this explained further in the forums. Can I buy from the grocery store just some raw fish/shrimp that I can cut and store in my freezer? My local fish stores have the frozen cube foods, typically a mix of mysis, brine, krill,... though after reading some threads i'm confused on whether or not the frozen cube food is adequate for this coral.

I have the skeleton placed roughly 1.5" into the sand with ~1" above the sand and the coral rests a few tentalcles on the sand but is 95% extended out and up. I have the coral placed on the bottome of a 20" deep tank with 240watts from t5's, 10k + 20K.

Reefflections
07/18/2011, 08:49 PM
What you have listed there as a food source,probably won't do the job.Especially the Mysis,Brine or Krill.They need "bulk" food as for their large mouths,and the smaller stuff have a hard time to get a hold of it.Probably blow off.Here is what I use."Silverslides".Cut "small" chunks somouths can take food in,also turn off all pumps.Be carefull as for fish will steal their meal.I used a egg crate cut up made in a box form.So the food won't be taken away.You might even soak in some Selcon.I would say once a week feeding wise.Try to feed each mouth if possibly.It might take awhile for them to get used to you feeding them. But those Silverslides is your best choice.

Essense
07/18/2011, 11:08 PM
Nice, thanks for the detail and tips for feeding. I noticed that the PE mysis was not being taken by the elegance in my tank, eventually blowing off the tentacals... quickly to be eaten by my lawnmower blenny of all my guys.

Reefflections
07/19/2011, 05:56 PM
Glad,I could help ya.Fish,shrimps,crabs, are a pain when feeding the Elegance.Or any type of other corals.They smell it in the water.That's why I made and enclosed box when I do this.Even tried this with lights off,same problem.But you need patience when you start feeding them.So take it slow.It might respond right away for you.Just once a week,would do ya just find.Good luck my friend.

BamBam17
08/04/2011, 11:21 PM
I've had my elegance for 5 months and never fed it, appears to be doing really well...

lgtentacle
08/05/2011, 10:02 PM
I used to use a mix of the ocean nutrition formula one and two frozen food, broken up into small chunks after defrosting so that it feeds the fish and the coral. I used a turkey baster to place the food where I wanted it. I always worked pretty well with the larger mouthed corals.