PDA

View Full Version : Rock question

xixi
07/18/2011, 11:02 PM
Hi, I circled my tank almost two months. Something showed up on the rock. Anyone can tell are they good or bad things? Thanks.

papagimp
07/18/2011, 11:10 PM
2 months seems a little longer than I usually see em poppin up, but kinda looks like run o' the mill normal to see early in a tanks life Diatoms, and some green algae in the one pic. can I get a confirmation or disagreement?

sponger0
07/19/2011, 06:31 AM
Looks like algae growth to me. If you have been cycling for two months, might be time for a CUC if you dont have one

crvz
07/19/2011, 07:37 AM
I agree that it appears to be relatively normal diatom cycle. How long have you been running the lights on the tank? I typically don't find that they appear until the lights are introduced to the system.

xixi
07/19/2011, 05:14 PM
I running the light on the tank since it was set up and almost 2 months too. Can you tell what is CUC mean? Thanks.

sponger0
07/19/2011, 05:22 PM
CUC = Clean up crew. hermits, snails and so on

fishmonkey
07/19/2011, 05:27 PM
When you go through the mandatory tank cycle, not only do your parameters go out of wack, but you get different kinds of algae and critters that go along with it. It is commonly called the "algae cycle" and pretty much all tanks do it. You have nothing to worry about. It will pass with time.

C.U.C. = Clean-Up-Crew = crabs, snails, shrimp, etc., that will help to get rid of the algae.

papagimp
07/19/2011, 07:40 PM
When you go through the mandatory tank cycle, not only do your parameters go out of wack, but you get different kinds of algae and critters that go along with it. It is commonly called the "algae cycle" and pretty much all tanks do it. You have nothing to worry about. It will pass with time.

C.U.C. = Clean-Up-Crew = crabs, snails, shrimp, etc., that will help to get rid of the algae.

+1

diatoms come fairly early, cyno can show up afterwards, and a nice little finally of hair algae. With misc types here and their. usually nothing to worry about and as you gain experience, some of, if not all of this can be avoided with future tanks (possibly an upgrade when the reef addiction kicks in full force :) ) Tanks really do kinda stay out of wack for awhile, you can get your water parameters to stabalize but expect the tank to take some time to fully mature. Anything less than a year and your pretty 'new' still as far as tank maturity goes. i gotta say, theirs nothing like that first saltwater tank ^^ so exciting and confusing. If you really wanna drool, look through the current and previous Tank of the Months in the Reefkeeping magazine here on RC. :lolspin:

xixi
07/19/2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the advices from all of you guys. I will add some CUC and try. Will update with you in the future. Thanks again.