PDA

View Full Version : LED dimming capability

md ca
07/19/2011, 09:49 AM
I am a new Apex user. I would like create sunrise / sunset dimming using LEDs. I swapped out the drivers on my TrueLumen Pros and my Ecoxotic Stunner Strips with Mean Well ELN-60-48Ds. The dimming was not great as they flash below about 40% and at about 70% power, the light is indistinguishable from full strength. The effects were not appreciably different from turning on the fixtures in sequence, which is using up precious EB8 outlets. The fixtures also seemed to run really hot.

Before I invest in DIY LED fixtures, I am hoping to get realistic information as to what is possible to achieve with dimming.

Has anyone swapped out drivers for off the shelf LEDs with success? What brands of LEDs and what drivers are you using?

For the DIY LED users, are you able to achieve 10% to 100% dimming to get sunrise / sunset effects? Please share what has worked.

Thanks, MD

ToLearn
11/30/2011, 11:37 AM
Wow, isn't often I come across a post in the Neptune forum this old with out a response. I am no expert and learning myself, but I believe Ecoxotic Stunners are not dimmable, but their Pro modules are. Someone has stated the Vertex LEDs can have their Meanwell switched and timmed, but no one has ever reported doing so. Plenty of people have dimmed DIY, but if you wire it wrong and blow out your LEDs replacing them will often cost you more then if you purchased dimmable modules from a reputable manufacturer.

Don't take any of the above as fact, but this is what I've found. Hopefully you weren't waiting on a response here and got the info you wanted a long time ago.