PDA

View Full Version : Can't access apex Jr web page

trigger186
07/19/2011, 07:07 PM
When I try to connect to the apex jr using the apex address and ip address It gives me a 404 error(only after logging in). But when I click this link http://apex/datalog.sht, it shows up to date temp readings. I can also see this link http://apex/cgi-bin/status.xml. When I try updating the web page and the firmware on the apex uploads it uploads a file or 2 and then gives me a message that says the connection or operation has timed out. The Jr is connected wireless with a trendnet wireless game adapter. Thanks!

trigger186
07/19/2011, 07:11 PM
It just randomly worked and the web update worked

atlreef1
07/19/2011, 07:33 PM
Just got the exact same thing as you. Also, going to be using Andriod mobile device to get it working. Quick question, what is the website you use to access it from outside your home network?

trigger186
07/19/2011, 10:07 PM
I have'nt tried setting up remote access yet, I believe there is an apex app for the droid. You can also register with http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ for a domain that you can use to remotely access the apex.

aquamanic
07/20/2011, 06:44 AM
The Jr is connected wireless with a trendnet wireless game adapter

As you have discovered, you cannot reliably perform firmware or web page updates via wireless. This is not supported by Neptune and more often than not you will corrupt your files. This is well documented by Neptune, on the forum and in the User Guide. If you were successful, you were lucky. Best to do this via a hard-wired connection.

Hextall
07/20/2011, 06:50 AM
I just set up my apex to have web access and to use the android app.

Here's a rough outline what I did. I followed pretty much exactly what the unofficial user guide suggested.

- connected my apex to my router with ethernet cable
- set up my router and modem to allow port forwarding (used portchecker from portforward.com to confirm the port for the apex I want is open)
- Set up email using gmx.com, tested, it worked.
- registered a domain with dyndns.com
- downloaded, installed and ran the dyndns software in case my service provider switches up my outside IP address (as explained in user guide... although I had a sort of difficult time finding this download).
- went to <my domain I set up with dyndns>:<port> when I was off my home network (used the browser on my phone on 3g)
- downloaded the droid app, it requires < address you set up with dyndns > : < port >, the apex username and password (default user/pw = admin/1234)

I was kind of surprised how easily it went. I know enough tech stuff to usually get myself into trouble (i.e. have to call support after messing stuff up). the most confusing step for me was setting up dyndns.com domain and finding the download. you need that download to be able to start using the site you set up.

I should note that I didn't update the firmware until after I set this all up. I think it is suggested you update the firmware to the most recent (4.10) before setting up web access. the user guide in the sticky thread has how to do that.

next up... set up a bridge wireless router so I can move my primary modem/router back to the basement.

RussM
07/20/2011, 08:24 AM
downloaded, installed and ran the dyndns software in case my service provider switches up my outside IP address (as explained in user guide... although I had a sort of difficult time finding this download).<my domain="" i="" set="" up="" with="" dyndns="">
For a number of reasons, it's better to use the dyndns update feature in your router (if your router supports DDNS) instead of the software updater client.

</port></my>

atlreef1
07/21/2011, 07:27 AM
RussM - In using the dyndns feature of the router, how do you prevent it from constantly updating. It seems dyndns has booted me for abusive updates. I read the instructions and to be honest have not the foggiest idea on what they are talking about.

RussM
07/21/2011, 09:57 AM
RussM - In using the dyndns feature of the router, how do you prevent it from constantly updating. It seems dyndns has booted me for abusive updates. I read the instructions and to be honest have not the foggiest idea on what they are talking about.
Hmm.. haven't heard of that happening in a while. Check to see if there is newer firmware for your router. You aren't by chance running both the dyndns update function in the router and a software client, are you? Or a 3G or 4G cellular router?

kenargo
07/21/2011, 01:18 PM
My router has a setting for the number of hours between updates to DynDns service; does yours? If your router's IP address is getting refreshed often that would also trigger a refresh; check your IP lifetime time setting if you have one.