PDA

View Full Version : dimming capability

md ca
07/19/2011, 07:57 PM
I am a new Apex user. I would like create sunrise / sunset dimming using LEDs. I swapped out the drivers on my TrueLumen Pros and my Ecoxotic Stunner Strips with Mean Well ELN-60-48Ds. The dimming was not great as they flash below about 40% and at about 70% power, the light is indistinguishable from full strength. The effects were not appreciably different from turning on the fixtures in sequence, which is using up precious EB8 outlets. The fixtures also seemed to run really hot.

Before I invest in DIY LED fixtures, I am hoping to get realistic information as to what is possible to achieve with dimming using a controller.

Has anyone swapped out drivers for off the shelf LEDs with success? What brands of LEDs and what drivers are you using?

For the DIY LED users, are you able to achieve 10% to 100% dimming to get sunrise / sunset effects? Please share what has worked.

Thanks, MD

DFWBill
07/20/2011, 12:47 PM
I have the DIY 36 Kit from RapidLED. 24 RB/12 CW and 3 Mean Well Dimmable Drivers. I also have an Apex. I use V1 for my Tunze V2 for the CW and V3 and V4 for the RB's. I have the RB's divided to East and West so I can create a faux Sunrise in the East and sunset in the West. The Mean Wells run fine from 10% up to 100%. I have several profiles for White Up, BlueE Up, BlueW UP, White Day, Blue Day as well as Storm Clouds and Lightening. I love the lights and the Apex.

travisdad
07/20/2011, 03:37 PM
Would you please post picture we can see. thanks

md ca
07/21/2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks, that's really inspiring! I am going to go for the DIY setup.

MD

md ca
07/23/2011, 08:58 AM
An update: For those who want to swap out a driver for an off the shelf led strip -- I contacted the manufacturer and they recommended the Meanwell ELN-xx-24D. I installed two yesterday and the dimming works perfectly on both LED strip brands!