PDA

View Full Version : chemi pure

ivon1955
07/19/2011, 10:41 PM
Will Chemi Pure stress fish out. I set my 72 gallon BF up and added a couple damsels and they don't seem to be doing so well. I don't have a test kit yet, buying one tomorrow.

rtb388
07/19/2011, 10:44 PM
No...wont stress out fish
chemi pure and the elite version are great products...

There are many reason why fish wont do so well.... first thing to look at is the acclimation process you used... and the water chemistry

disc1
07/19/2011, 10:44 PM
When did you set up the tank? How long did you wait before you added the damsels?

dublo8
07/19/2011, 11:11 PM
^yup, that's exactly what I read as well. How old is the tank?

ivon1955
07/20/2011, 07:25 AM
The tank has been cycling salt water for a week with a SG 1.022 before I added any fish.

disc1
07/20/2011, 08:21 AM
Oh, well then it's probably ammonia and not the chemi-pure that is killing the fish. Have you tested that? If so the poor little guys died a pianful death.

tmz
07/20/2011, 09:12 AM
Cycling takes more than a week , usually 4 or more before the tank is safe for fish. Ammmonia will kill them. At this point an ammonia detoxifier like Amquell or Ammolock may help. BTW quarantine is strongly recommnended for new fish.

Chemi pure is a mix of an averaged granulated activated carbon and some deionization resinn. The resin is useless and harmless in salt water as it exhausts immediately but you pay for it. The elite chemipure has the carbon. resin and some granulated ferric oxide, a common phosphate remover.

bertoni
07/20/2011, 03:25 PM
If the tank has ammonia, some Amquel or Prime should help, although I'd likely just return the fish.

Daimyo68
07/20/2011, 07:16 PM
Go read all these articles. I checked your profile, you've been in the hobby for 3 years, and sorry to say, but you haven't learned the basics? Sorry if that seems rude, but 1 week and you added fish, no test kits?? Even with established LR, you should have waited atleast 3-4 weeks.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696795

ivon1955
07/21/2011, 06:51 AM
Well first off, I have been in the hobby much longer than that, BUT I lived on a tiny island off the coast of southern Japan...Okinawa and hauled my all my own water from the ocean, did all water changes with ocean water. Live sand was never an issue as sand at ten-fifteen feet deep is awesome stuff. That being said, never had to worry. Then I moved to Minot ND where I was out of the hobby for 5 years. Now I am in Texas and am running into stuff that I really have never had to deal with and that is making me feel like a newbie. Never had to pay attention to the chemicle balance of my water, so yes I am new at that, but I am reading and heading.

tmz
07/21/2011, 09:02 AM
Ivon 1955 . Feel free to ask your questions. There are several here who will try to be be helpful.

ivon1955
07/21/2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks TMZ, it is those few who tend to be "holier than thou" who really just put people off. I did test my water yesterday and the pH was 8.8 and the Ammonia was .5 ppm. I went out and bought SeaChem's Prime and Stabil help things out, but patience is key.

Yogre
07/21/2011, 11:16 AM
Since you don't have access to the fresh stuff you could get in Okinawa, your tank will have to cycle before adding fish. 0.5ppm ammonia is too high for fish without risking injury to the animals. If you can take the fish out for now, as bertoni suggested I'd definitely do so.

Do you have any live rock in the tank? I might have missed that in your earlier posts.

ivon1955
07/21/2011, 11:53 AM
right now I have a bunch of homemade stuff, and one small piece of live, I am going to get a bunch of the live stuff this afternoon. Yeah, unfortunately my one green chromis and blue damel are both dead, lesson learned.

HighlandReefer
07/21/2011, 11:56 AM
I would be careful about adding two many coral and fish at one time, especially if your tank has not properly cycled and has ammonia or high nitrates or high phosphates. ;)

ivon1955
07/21/2011, 01:33 PM
By live stuff, ROCK ONLY

sponger0
07/21/2011, 02:59 PM
Well first off, I have been in the hobby much longer than that, BUT I lived on a tiny island off the coast of southern Japan...Okinawa and hauled my all my own water from the ocean, did all water changes with ocean water. Live sand was never an issue as sand at ten-fifteen feet deep is awesome stuff. That being said, never had to worry. Then I moved to Minot ND where I was out of the hobby for 5 years. Now I am in Texas and am running into stuff that I really have never had to deal with and that is making me feel like a newbie. Never had to pay attention to the chemicle balance of my water, so yes I am new at that, but I am reading and heading.

Well IMO, water chemistry is one of the top things to watch. So might be good to learn more about it. Im a strong believer in having a strong knowledge of water chemistry. i dont know much but I really want to learn more about water.

ivon1955
07/21/2011, 03:49 PM
I 100% agree with you and that is why I went out and bought a good set and now will use it daily until my water stabilizes and then weekly...Learn...learn...learn, that is all I can do and I truly look forward to it. I had never used Chemi Pure and never had any issues with fish, so that was my first thought....but obivously it wasn't and I have learned quite a bit already in the couple day old thread,

sponger0
07/21/2011, 03:52 PM
Chemi pure is a great product in my experience. Actually, I think its a large contributing factor on how i was able to resolve a cyano problem from a tank (Granted it was chemi pure elite)