PDA

View Full Version : Prizm Protein Skimmer

fishguy194
07/20/2011, 07:37 AM
I am using one on a 6 gallon aquarium. I posted this under nano reef, but no one has responded...

So after a few years straying away from SW I have come to my senses and re-entered the hobby. I set up a mini reef using a 6 gallon eclipse tank, 2 x 18 watt t5 fixture, a cheesy DIY background and a prizm protein skimmer.

I set up the tank on Sunday 7/10. Since then the skimmer has been spewing out micro bubbles, which to my understanding is normal during the break in period. Since the rock was sterile I added a small piece of florida cultured rock to add coralline and bacteria.

My question is: How long is the skimmer supposed to spew out the micro bubbles? I am concerned that the micro bubbles it is spewing out are being re-injected into the skimmer and then the "break-in period" will not end. I realize that the skimmer may be a little oversized but I want to try my hand at a mixed/nps reef.

allsps40
07/20/2011, 07:51 AM
Could take a few weeks in some cases.

fishguy194
07/20/2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks! Currently, I'm only running it at night every other day. I'm feeding 1 ml of phytofeast nightly to feed the anything on the rock, the skimmer pulls out everything and stops producing foam within a few hours. Again, thanks for the reply!