PDA

View Full Version : Smallest sump for 55g

felixfish
07/20/2011, 09:09 AM
I have had a couple smaller tanks in the past, but now i found a great deal on a 55g tank i couldn't pass up. I bought all the live rock, sand, and protien skimmer. It has been filtering for 4 days now, and everything seems fine. However, eventually I know i need more filtration. I want to get a custom sump box made at Inland Aquatics (local store) and make it work. The tank is not drilled. I was wondering how small I can make my sump. There are two compartments on either side of the cabinet, and a pull out slide drawer in the middle. I was curious on what my options can be?? :celeb3:

felixfish
07/20/2011, 09:09 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\ruw7\My Documents\My Pictures\tank.JPG

felixfish
07/20/2011, 09:19 AM
I have had a couple smaller tanks in the past, but now i found a great deal on a 55g tank i couldn't pass up. I bought all the live rock, sand, and protien skimmer. It has been filtering for 4 days now, and everything seems fine. However, eventually I know i need more filtration. I want to get a custom sump box made at Inland Aquatics (local store) and make it work. The tank is not drilled. I was wondering how small I can make my sump. There are two compartments on either side of the cabinet, and a pull out slide drawer in the middle. I was curious on what my options can be??

klrreef
07/20/2011, 09:20 AM
I use a 20gal long for my 45gal tank,if that helps any. If I had bought any smaller of a sump tank it would have not held the skimmer,BM NAC7-Awsome skimmer for the price!

blt
07/20/2011, 09:29 AM
The minimum size for your sump is entirely dependent on what you intend to put in it.

Want the skimmer in it? Live rock? Refugium? At the least, you'll want enough room for two chambers and a bubble trap between them. If all you want is some live rock for more filtration, you just need to worry about the space it will take up, and the space the return pump will take up.

speer
07/20/2011, 10:12 AM
Go as big as you can and make sure your equipment will fit.

felixfish
07/20/2011, 10:39 AM
Ok I was thinking along those lines. I researched you should have at least 10% volume for your sump. I would like to provide a small refugium, some live rock and sand. My skimmer is a decent size that fits on the back of the tank. I'm going to have to see the space and what I can work with. I appreciate all your help, and comments!

felixfish
07/20/2011, 10:43 AM
Here is the tank so far after 4 days, with the protein skimmer only. How long do I have before needing a sump filter?

hagar101
07/20/2011, 10:44 AM
I dont know if its from the angle...but you have a pretty deep sand bed.

ryeguyy84
07/21/2011, 06:00 AM
I dont know if its from the angle...but you have a pretty deep sand bed.

^+1

is that a CPR Bacpac skimmer? if so you should look into the air stone mod. basically get an air pump, and one of those wooden air stones, makes crazy amounts of bubbles. I used to get some nasty smelling stuff out of that skimmer.

felixfish
07/27/2011, 10:25 AM
Well it produces a lot of bubbles on its own. It has filled up several times now with no odor. I have recently added a cascade 300 filter, a powerhead fan, and about 50lbs of live rock. I found a great deal on craigslist for the extra materials, plus 2 clown fish and a royal dotty back. I am a bit nervous due to my tanks beginning cycle of only 3 weeks. The guy at Inland Aquatics told me with the live rock and sand the nitrate levels should have spiked. I have been water testing, and they have raised a hair, but still in the 'ok' range. I've also did a water change within this time.

felixfish
08/02/2011, 10:58 AM
^+1

is that a CPR Bacpac skimmer? if so you should look into the air stone mod. basically get an air pump, and one of those wooden air stones, makes crazy amounts of bubbles. I used to get some nasty smelling stuff out of that skimmer.

I have a ReefOctopus skimmer. It's worked very well for me so far.

felixfish
08/02/2011, 12:45 PM
I will probably scale up and either build, or buy a sump set up. However, could I make 2 seperate sump box's, and ajoin them together some how?
I only have two L19xW10xH19 (i believe) cabinets under the tank with a middle pull out drawer. Didn't know if anyone has made any custom tanks like this? I was thinking a regugium on one, and other a place for my skimmer, heater, etc.. Would I need additional pumps to flow from one box to another?
:hmm6:

felixfish
08/02/2011, 08:43 PM
I will probably scale up and either build, or buy a sump set up. However, could I make 2 seperate sump box's, and ajoin them together some how?
I only have two L19xW10xH19 (i believe) cabinets under the tank with a middle pull out drawer. Didn't know if anyone has made any custom tanks like this? I was thinking a regugium on one, and other a place for my skimmer, heater, etc.. Would I need additional pumps to flow from one box to another?
:hmm6:

Check the measurements are 19.5x15x19.5.