PDA

View Full Version : New blue throat trigger

nanojg
07/20/2011, 03:28 PM
How long do they normally hide out before they come out to play? Mine darted for the rocks as soon as I released him and hasnt come out yet, its only been a day. I expect him to hide for a few days, just wondering how long is normal.

I'm a little worried because fed ex didnt drop the fish off until 6pm after being in the truck all day long in 100 degree weather. He kinda laid on his side a bit in the bag while I was acclimating but wasnt breathing heavy.

This is in a 90 gallon with 1 yellow tang, 2 black clowns, 1 purple fire fish, 1 yellow face goby (who I think is starving to death), and 1 purple pseudo.

TruespeedEM1
07/20/2011, 03:42 PM
Mine took about a week to finally get greedy at feeding time, and took about two weeks to warm up to me whenever I walked up to the tank. Seems to be a common trend. Awesome fish though!

aleonn
07/20/2011, 05:53 PM
Mine took about a week to come out of his rock in QT. During this time he only ate when I dumped the food and walked far away from the tank. It took about 2-3 weeks for him to be comfortable and eat with me next to the tank.

Ethan Music
07/20/2011, 09:26 PM
The one we got for my Dads tank died in QT never read anything about how hard it is to get them to eat. Might have just been the guy we got. He went 14 days without eating and died a few weeks ago. We tried everything from pellets and flakes to frozen meaty foods and even fresh clams and live brine shrimp and black worms. Looked healthy he was about 4 inches had some weight on him no idea what happend.

xcorallusx
07/20/2011, 11:47 PM
Did you have enough hiding spots for him? I know they are shy and like to hide. My female was at first like that, and once I got a male they both became very active.

Ethan Music
07/21/2011, 12:03 PM
Did you have enough hiding spots for him? I know they are shy and like to hide. My female was at first like that, and once I got a male they both became very active.

Yea he had plenty once I acclimated him he went straight into a cave and would only switch hiding spot at night. No lights were over the tank and when I feed him I put the food in and walked away. Reason for that like stated above I was told they would not come out if you were watching them.

falconut
07/21/2011, 12:31 PM
Mine did the same thing. Would sometimes come out, but if I tried to go in the room, he would shoot back in the rocks. I just tried to feed some behind the rockwork, so maybe he would get some.