PDA

View Full Version : How to set up a sump

asid61
07/20/2011, 09:48 PM
I've been looking online on how to make a sump without drilling (my aquarium is a 44 gallon that says on it "do not drill"), but have been unsuccessful so far in finding how to. I have a 10 gallon aquarium and a stand that is about 2' tall.
How do I set up a sump WITHOUT using a drill on the 44g?

papagimp
07/20/2011, 09:51 PM
External overflow box is pretty much your option if using a non reef ready (drilled) tank.

dlp211
07/20/2011, 09:52 PM
You could setup a HOB overflow.

*Hang on Back

And to answer your next question Lifereef or eShoppes in that order.

symon_say
07/20/2011, 11:01 PM
You could setup a HOB overflow.

*Hang on Back

And to answer your next question Lifereef or eShoppes in that order.

+1, basically those are your options.

owentl
07/21/2011, 05:20 AM
You might also make sure that the back and the bottom are actually tempered glass. Many times not all the panels are tempered. If that is the case you can drill your tank if you want to.

There are many ways to tell if glass is tempered, but easiest is with a pair of polarized sunglasses.

asid61
07/21/2011, 01:47 PM
There are many ways to tell if glass is tempered, but easiest is with a pair of polarized sunglasses.
?

psychadelicdrea
07/21/2011, 01:52 PM
i personally couldn't leave the house if i had a hob overflow....drilling and making sure it cant suck to much to overflow the sump is the way to go...imho

asid61
07/21/2011, 01:57 PM
I mean, HOW DO I SET UP A SUMP!? I am a total noob!

jeff@zina.com
07/21/2011, 02:06 PM
I mean, HOW DO I SET UP A SUMP!? I am a total noob!

Melev's Reef. Google it. Love it. :)

Jeff

asid61
07/21/2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks! The site was very useful, and now I know how an overflow box works! Do I have to use a mag drive pump or can I use a Rio Aqua pump from fosterandsmith.com instead?

talwen
07/21/2011, 11:25 PM
You can use any type pump you want..external or internal it just needs to keep up with the overflow.

reefjunkie42
07/21/2011, 11:38 PM
there should only be 1 option...lifereef....check their track record.0 overflows. from loss of suction

RiffRaff
07/22/2011, 12:02 AM
I'm a big big fan of the beananimal design in the DIY section. When I was looking into drilling mine there was a sticker on the bottomthat also said do not drill. But that was only the bottom panel. I drilled the back of mine no problem and hooked up the beananimal design having no previous knowledge of having a sump before. 8 months later I still love it

papagimp
07/22/2011, 01:37 AM
You can use any type pump you want..external or internal it just needs to keep up with the overflow.

other way around :) the overflow needs to keep up with the return

asid61
07/22/2011, 12:39 PM
I'm a big big fan of the beananimal design in the DIY section. When I was looking into drilling mine there was a sticker on the bottomthat also said do not drill. But that was only the bottom panel. I drilled the back of mine no problem and hooked up the beananimal design having no previous knowledge of having a sump before. 8 months later I still love it

Also, my parents won't let me drill it."Don't make it too complex! Stick with your 10 gallon!" they said. :(
I barely managed to get them to let me buy this one.

asid61
07/22/2011, 01:28 PM
My mom says I'm lucky I have an aquarium at all!:mad2:

papagimp
07/22/2011, 01:32 PM
My mom says I'm lucky I have an aquarium at all!:mad2:

I got the same treatment when i started. It was expensive as all get at, but here's what I did :P I pieced together a tank for both my mom, mother in law, and the misses. 99.9% of my grief gone lol.

"I know it cost $100 but when it grows I can give you a frag for YOUR tank!"

blt
07/22/2011, 01:39 PM
I would suggest that drilling is far less complex in the long run (though it is a bit more complex to get set up).

But given your last post, it sounds like it's not a battle you should go looking for right now....

Figure out if your tank CAN be drilled or not (as others have said, it might just be the bottom that is tempered), and figure out which arguments can support your case for drilled vs overflow box. Then take that case to your parents after the "you're lucky to have an aquarium at all" stuff has blown over and you've done a few things to build up some good will :D