PDA

View Full Version : Chalice ID... is it a My Miami?

Reef1589
07/20/2011, 10:27 PM
Hey, i was just curious if this is a My Miami Chalice frag? or if anyone could give an id on it..

http://i56.*******.com/n50nki.png

nvdiz
07/21/2011, 08:37 AM
Doesn't look like the My Miami, but it could be anything

klrreef
07/21/2011, 09:12 AM
It actually looks like an acan rotoflundora frag,because the skeleton bumps throughout the body and eyes,but I can't be 100% sure until it grows out. I do not think it is My Miami.

klrreef
07/21/2011, 09:14 AM
Here is a picture of one I found on google.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/mschriskim/LPS/Acans/aa657a94.jpg

They oftenly are called chalices,but under close inspection they are pretty differant from chalices.

aakinego
07/21/2011, 10:26 AM
It actually looks like an acan rotoflundora frag,because the skeleton bumps throughout the body and eyes,but I can't be 100% sure until it grows out. I do not think it is My Miami.

+1, Acan rotundoflora.

organism
07/21/2011, 04:55 PM

+1. Also, if you didn't buy it as a my miami then chances are it's not.

Not saying this is the case here, but the LPS forum seems to have blown up lately with people trying to figure out what the most expensive name is they can put on their no-name, inexpensively purchased frags.

Reef1589
07/21/2011, 04:59 PM
thx for the replies guys :)

RokleM
07/21/2011, 05:30 PM
[moved]...

klepto
07/22/2011, 12:16 AM
...if you didn't buy it as a my miami then chances are it's not.

Not saying this is the case here, but the LPS forum seems to have blown up lately with people trying to figure out what the most expensive name is they can put on their no-name, inexpensively purchased frags.

My thoughts exactly! Even if it is the same species... even the same coloration and morphology- it still does not deserve the name of the coral with a traceable lineage.

The whole point of buying a named coral is that you KNOW, with certainty, that it is that coral. Plus, if you purchased a collectible, high dollar coral like "My Miami" it would have been reflected with the price you payed for it. The chances of someone passing on a named piece of that caliber without knowing it are very slight.