PDA

View Full Version : Mixing inverts in a 20g

Cheebs
07/21/2011, 08:49 AM
Hey Folks... So I'vee decided to go with a low fish count in my 20 gallon tank, perhaps a goby or two. I'd like to have some interesitng inverts in there but I'm unsure about compatibility.

My ideas for stocking it are thus:

-1 cleaner shrimp
-1 blood/fire shrimp
-1 coral banded shrimp
- Maybe a crab of some sort, perhaps an emerald as part of my cleanup.

Now I've seen the fire and cleaner shrimp do fine together in larger tanks, and I know coral banded shrimp can be problematic with shrimp smaller than it, so I'm jsut wondering if this is too much for a 20 gallon, despite having what I feel is enough hiding places.

If these inverts don't work together, do you have any suggestions for other interesting inverts I could put in there? Perhaps I could do away with the fire and coral banded shrimp and have a small troupe of sexy shrimp?

Any thoughts?

thanks

Toddrtrex
07/21/2011, 09:48 AM
I personally would skip the coral banded shrimp.

Could add a peppermint if you like.

Could also consider a porcelain crab.

Woogiekids
07/21/2011, 10:00 AM
I have the following in my 28G anemone tank:

2 sexy shrimp (live in the maxi-mini garden)
1 yellow coral banded
2 pom pom crabs
1 commensal candy crab (hitched in on a carnation, and is now living in a kenya tree).

With the exception of the candy crab (which is new), they've all been together with no problems for a year.

SecretiveFish
07/21/2011, 10:04 AM
I think that you will run into problems with 3 shrimp in a smaller tank. We do have a fire shrimp and a cleaner shrimp in a 65, but I would hesitate to try that in a smaller tank. We have a coral banded shrimp in our 150 that holds his own against a marine beta and a longnose hawkfish, so that should tell you something about them!!

Personally as much as I like fire shrimp, I would go with one cleaner shrimp in your tank. They are very active and stay out in the open, unlike fire shrimp. Also, I have read so many horror stories about coral banded shrimp killing things so if you want to have a lot of inverts and small fish, I would probably stay away from them.

Maybe have some crabs, hermit crabs, snails, or an urchin?

curlykid
07/21/2011, 10:10 AM
Here's a list of cool inverts you'll like:
2 Bongo Shrimp
1 Peterson's Cleaner Shrimp
1 Red Pistol Shrimp
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Spotted Anemone Shrimp
1 Yellow-Lined Anemone Shrimp
add some mushrooms, mini brittle stars, asterina stars, and you'll have some happy shrimp
also for crabs:
2 Electric blue hermits
1 Porcelain Crab