PDA

View Full Version : Fish acclimation tank

KendallC
07/21/2011, 07:02 PM
If I have a 55gal reef tank can I cure newly bought fish from parasites in my quarantine tank with a copper formalin med. and do no harm to the animals in my reef tank?

papagimp
07/21/2011, 07:11 PM
I'm not a medication expert at all, but if medicating fish in a QT tank, then when you put them back in your display tank, should be fine. Treating that tank with copper though will make it unsafe to use as a reef tank later on though. Has something to do with the silicone absorbing the copper and leeaching it back out later on.

I also dont' know what to recommend as the best prophylactic medication. Are the fish your getting showing signs of anything thats making you treat with copper?

KendallC
07/21/2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks

papagimp
07/21/2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks

no problem, but I would recommend waiting for someone a tad more experienced on this topic to chime in for you. My knowledge is very limited with medications and correct usage of them.

Sk8r
07/21/2011, 08:43 PM
DOn't treat unless you know they're sick: the meds do damage. Isolate the qt tank: no water connection, no reuse of, say, nets, from one tank to other. OBserve for 4 weeks. If no detectible disease, ok to put them across to the dt.