PDA

View Full Version : Moving a tank.

hagar101
07/21/2011, 07:17 PM
Hi. I am looking at getting a HOB refuge and skimmer.. my tank is like an inch away from the wall. I need to move it 5" for the refuge. How would i move it? Its a 75 with dimensions 48X18X18. than

fdonophan
07/21/2011, 07:21 PM
I'm far from an expert, but here's what I'd do:

- Remove as much livestock as you can to holding containers with tank water
- Put as much water as you can into big tubs
- get a couple guys to help you move that bad-boy a few inches
- give your buddies some beers to dull their back-aches
- put the water back in and let the dust settle
- put your critters back in
- give your critters happy foods to make them feel better too!

hagar101
07/21/2011, 07:27 PM
Just wondering...those so called HOB skimmers. do they actually hang on the back? or are they like a filter that has and input and output tube?

greech
07/21/2011, 07:49 PM
They have an intake and output and do hang on the back of the tank. Some have pumps in the tank and some use external pumps similar to a HOB power filter. Are you getting a separate skimmer and fuge or a combo unit?

I would drain the tank as far as possible and remove all rocks except any that are on the bottom and well grounded in the sand. If you have a sump you will likely want to drain that too. My tank is on sliders just for this reason. Still have to drain the tank but I can slide it fairly easy once I get most of the water out.

papagimp
07/21/2011, 07:53 PM
I slid a 75 full once and let me tell you, it's not a pretty sight in the least. fdonophan gave a good idea and that would be my recommendation as well. paying close attention to step 4. If the beer isnt' enough, pizza may be in order too. :)

(at least the 75 scoot when full was still easier than the 220g scoot empty lol, I almost filled a diaper on that one)

fdonophan
07/21/2011, 08:12 PM
I slid a 75 full once and let me tell you, it's not a pretty sight in the least. fdonophan gave a good idea and that would be my recommendation as well. paying close attention to step 4. If the beer isnt' enough, pizza may be in order too. :)

(at least the 75 scoot when full was still easier than the 220g scoot empty lol, I almost filled a diaper on that one)

Oy vey! I swapped my 29g BC last week by myself because I'm a stubborn *******, and my back is STILL killing me!

I had to move the critters, move the water, move the old tank, move the old stand. Then - move the new stand, move the new tank, move the old sand, move half the old water, move half the new water, and finally put my critters back. Then you add in changing all the equipment and getting the old tank into the garage?

I nearly died.

papagimp
07/21/2011, 08:16 PM
Oy vey!

This was the very least of what I said during the procedure ;)

All my other moves since, I've used buckets for fish, rock, water and had plenty of help. Since my stands tend to weigh next to nothing, I have the misses and another move the stands, while me and my buddies to the heavy lifting. Don't like setting a tank down since it's tougher to pick it back up.

Deminos
07/21/2011, 08:17 PM
I would get out as much as possible as suggested before moving it. Take the opportunity to redo your aqua scape.

papagimp
07/21/2011, 08:21 PM
Take the opportunity to redo your aqua scape.

lol we all know how that one goes :P Good suggestion that reminds me... If you do want to keep aquascaping the way it was, get lots of pictures before you remove the rock and possibly during section removals. I have to do it this way or I never get it back to where I had it.

hagar101
07/21/2011, 08:43 PM
the skimmer im looking at is the Reef Octopus Hang on the Back 2000 OCT BH2000. I believe its one of those ones that go into the stand. so if it is ill do that for now. Im only getting a refugium in like 6 to 8 months (if i even do). Also RO/DI units.... How do you use them? Im looking around at those aswell at the moment.