PDA

View Full Version : PWM Dimmer

__SoS__8)
07/21/2011, 07:41 PM
What is the cheapest easiest to use PWN dimmer out there. Basically I want a knob to turn. No controllers just simple.

Thank you

ronsonol
07/21/2011, 09:02 PM
You will be best off going with a dimmer that suports analog. IE meanwell type D.
Connect a 10v supply to a 10K pot and you have manual dimming from the knob.

__SoS__8)
07/21/2011, 10:36 PM
You will be best off going with a dimmer that suports analog. IE meanwell type D.
Connect a 10v supply to a 10K pot and you have manual dimming from the knob.

I would but some PWN drivers fell in my lap and I want a simple way to use them for some frag tanks.

ronsonol
07/21/2011, 10:46 PM
Some type of controller will be required..its what does the PWM. You can go with something simple like the PWM controller from RapidLed, or a more advanced controller like the Apex.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/22/2011, 06:53 AM
Or, spend $5-10 on parts at any local Radio Shack or online electronics house and make a PWM signal generator with a 555 IC. Google search "555 PWM" and you'll get a few billion hits. It's a really nice first soldering project if you're interested in electronics but haven't taken the jump yet, and it'll give you EXACTLY what you want (a knob to turn that will generate a PWM signal) with nothing you don't want.

__SoS__8)
07/22/2011, 09:23 AM
Or, spend $5-10 on parts at any local Radio Shack or online electronics house and make a PWM signal generator with a 555 IC. Google search "555 PWM" and you'll get a few billion hits. It's a really nice first soldering project if you're interested in electronics but haven't taken the jump yet, and it'll give you EXACTLY what you want (a knob to turn that will generate a PWM signal) with nothing you don't want.

That was my plan B if I could not find a cheap ready made alternative.

I've been soldering for years I have a sweet Pace station with solder sucker.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/22/2011, 09:48 AM
I don't think you'll find a cheap ready made alternative. There's not really a market. The devices targeted at reefkeeping are usually either overcomplicated or overpriced, and there isn't any sort of crossover market that I am aware of. You might find a fan controller aimed at PC fans that worked, but I bet most of those are generating an analog signal, and it would be the wrong voltage anyways.

Plus, this is the DIY forum, so of course we're gonna tell you to build your own. :)

Jocko
07/22/2011, 03:15 PM
Some type of controller will be required..its what does the PWM. You can go with something simple like the PWM controller from RapidLed, or a more advanced controller like the Apex.The Apex doesn't do PWM, only 0-10V.

sixfins
10/02/2012, 04:32 AM
If you haven't taken care of this yet, you can get a LED dimmer off ebay for about $5-6.

Dave Thebrewguy
10/02/2012, 05:57 AM
If you haven't taken care of this yet, you can get a LED dimmer off ebay for about $5-6.

+1, I was looking for a small driver last night (3-5 leds) and saw a few of them. I think I had searched "LED driver, PWM."