PDA

View Full Version : How much did you have to pay your Pblue tang to eat?

csmfish
07/22/2011, 05:58 AM
Mine has seemed to finally calm down and is very chil now but he will not eat anything. Sniffs at the nori and moves on. Says no way to fish pellets falling on his head and doesnt even give a thought to scallops, which hardly any fish passes up. I have some gracelara coming in a day or so, hopefully he will eat that but I am at a loss here. Would adding a piece of garlic clove to his QT water get him interested in eating something or does the food item have to be soaked in the garlic?

jbachert
07/22/2011, 06:57 AM
Mine has seemed to finally calm down and is very chil now but he will not eat anything. Sniffs at the nori and moves on. Says no way to fish pellets falling on his head and doesnt even give a thought to scallops, which hardly any fish passes up. I have some gracelara coming in a day or so, hopefully he will eat that but I am at a loss here. Would adding a piece of garlic clove to his QT water get him interested in eating something or does the food item have to be soaked in the garlic?

Try feeding frozen mysis shrimp (thawed of course!). My powder blue eats them like a pig.

csmfish
07/22/2011, 07:10 AM
Does he eat anything like a pig or just the mysis? Which brand? Thanks.

campos
07/22/2011, 08:15 AM
mine also eats like a pig. Mysis, pellets, Rods food, flake, Nori

csmfish
07/22/2011, 08:44 AM
Maybe i should set mine in a separate tank next to yours so he gets the idea, lol??? He sniffs away at the nori i put in for him but will not eat it.

Allmost
07/22/2011, 08:55 AM

try "Entice" that's how I get my tangs to eat, including Anchilles.

soaking food in garlic wont hurt neither :)

good luck.

PS. eating flake food yourself to show him its eatable wont help neither :( I tried LOL but if you can get flake from NLS, the ones with garlic, it might have a better chance than pellets.

bayoupr
07/22/2011, 09:37 AM
Mine eats anything, flakes, pellets, brine and mysis shrimp, algae sheet on a clip, doesn't turn anything down.

Chris27
07/22/2011, 10:06 AM
Give the food a good garlic soak (Garlic Guard/Garlic Extreme/Garlic Power) prior to feeding....it usually does the trick. You could also try a good frozen mix...but for the tangs, the most important is the seaweed.

Amdeus
07/22/2011, 11:00 AM
My powder brown loves brine shrimp that are live.

csmfish
07/23/2011, 08:42 PM
Well, I tried live brine and he didnt go for that. Bought a pack of blood worms and didnt even look at the blood worms falling around him, didnt even sniff at them!? He did however selectively eat some PEmysis. It had to smell right, look right and move like it was alive. I can throw 5 pieces in there that look the same to me ( even with 3x magnification glasses) but he will only eat certain ones. Well, at least we got 5 pieces or so in him in a week, thats a start if he keeps at it. Problem now is I was moving a piece of rock to the edge of the QT tank and he shot right into it the same time I moved it against the glass. My arm was in the way and I didnt see him coming. What the heck was he thinking? Now he has a small bruise on his side and hope he makes it through the night. Hmmm, how is that for poetic justice? :headwallblue:

I guess the answer to the question is $19.94 and "I" ate a $1.85 bowl of cereal tonight.

curthendrix
07/23/2011, 09:53 PM
Red gracelera (sp?). Ive never had a tang that wouldn't eat it.

jbachert
07/23/2011, 09:53 PM
Does he eat anything like a pig or just the mysis? Which brand? Thanks.

I feed him PE Mysis. http://www.mysis.com/

He also eats nori off of a clip.

csmfish
07/23/2011, 10:24 PM
Oh yea, forgot to mention, I got some Nori on a rock and what looks like Red gracelera (thik crap, no fine hair like stalks??) and he wont go near it either. He is killing me :rolleye1:

Typlus5
07/24/2011, 01:20 AM
What did it eat at the store before you picked it up? Would try replicating that too.

cham
07/24/2011, 06:02 AM
This is why you need to see fish eating before you buy them and the main reason why I won't buy delicate fish online. I need to watch their attitude and eating habbits.

My PBT only eats pellets, absolutely nothing else.

fishchef
07/24/2011, 10:02 AM
I would say he's stressed from shipping. Also being in a small QT doesn't help. Is he fat and in good shape? Once you put him in the main tank things should improve. By the way, sorry, 90 gal is a little small for a PB Tang. Should be allright. I kept a Kole in my younger days in a 55, still have him, that was 1994. He's in a 125 now.

endlessblue
07/24/2011, 12:35 PM
try adding some kents garlic additive, anything will eat that stuff :)