PDA

View Full Version : HOB Filter + Skimmer or just a skimmer?

Defuse
07/22/2011, 08:37 AM
I had a small accident with my HOB filter last night and the result is that the casing is broken and not usable. So now that I am in the market for some new equipment I figure now is a good time to get a protein skimmer.

What I don't know is if I need a skimmer and the filter or of I can just run a skimmer. Is there such thing as a skimmer with the filtration built in?

This is a 55 gallon reef tank with 3 fish + CUC.

Whatever I end up getting the equipment has to be silent.

sucker_fish
07/22/2011, 12:22 PM
I would go with just the protein skimmer, neverused the units that have afilter and skimmer in one so maybe someone else can help out with that, I do know that filters tend to turn into nitrate factories, just make sure you have ample amount of live rock and a good skimmer, RODI water to ensure there are no added phosphates or other nasties being added too your tank during top off and water changes and you sould be good to go.

Cable_Guy
07/22/2011, 01:33 PM
Just a skimmer should be fine.

The LR and LS are your "filter". You may have to have a little more flow to clear and detritus from the tank but the skimmer will do fine with frequent water changes.

haitwun
07/22/2011, 01:38 PM
Get a skimmer and a HOB filter. The additional filtration and flow can only help your tank.

charleneatkins
07/22/2011, 01:49 PM
Can u get another housing? I have a transitional set up. I was fresh water then brackish water now salt. I keep my canister running with carbon and empty filter bags for polishing just because I already had it. I added a HOB because it was cheaper than a vortek and both of these add extra water flo.
I finally got an aqua pro for skimmer. Hubby is not to keen about the idea of a sump and since he does my tech stuff and carting me around, point goes to him.:wave:

89Foxbody
07/22/2011, 01:55 PM
I would not use a HOB filter, honestly. I'd prefer to run a skimmer and a reactor, which is what I just changed over to recently. I'm already seeing an improvement in my system after 3 days.

For a long time I ran a HOB filter and a canister filter and what people say about them is true, it's easy for your nitrates to get out of control. These methods remove stuff from your tank but where does it go? It stays stuck in the filter floss, continuing to degrade and release the toxins back into the water column. I would leave these methods of filtration to freshwater setups in the future.

If you do use a HOB, the extra flow will be nice, but I would consider using it with carbon in a filter bag. Or you could even use a filter with a larger box like an Aquaclear 70 and make a mini-refugium out of it, which is what I've done.

papagimp
07/22/2011, 02:22 PM
Only reason I suggest to run an hoB filter would be if you needed the extra mechanical filtration. As it's been mentioned, the rock, sand and skimmer are your main filtration. The HOB would help pull particulate matter from the water but I woudlnt' use it to actually filter biologically.

I've always use some additional type of mechanical filtration, from a HOB, to a canister, or even just a sponge filter. The HOB's are typically easy to clean out and I like them hanging on the side of my sumps. I don't always run the thing, but it's there if I need it. (such as re-aquascaping gone bad and the waters all full of floaties or somebody bumped me while feeding and I dumped extra food in, stuff like that) I do tend to keep my sponge filter in the sump runnin' most the time but it gets rinse ALOT.

mistaflicksta
07/22/2011, 02:24 PM
HOB Skimmer and a HOB refugium is the best way to go if you dont want to instal a sump

Defuse
07/22/2011, 06:25 PM
I ended up getting a Hagen Fluval 405 Canister Filter & Reef Octopus BH-1000.

The people at the LFS that I talked to said something about not running the skimmer 24/7. The reasoning being that it could take too much of the bacteria out of the tank. I am not sure what to think about that but we will give it a shot.

The Fluval filter is very very quiet which I like and keeps a good amount of flow from the output.

briankmarsh1980
07/22/2011, 07:16 PM
there is no need for mechanical filtration in a reef tank......

I think your LFS is crazy lol run your skimmer 24/7

Defuse
07/22/2011, 08:19 PM
there is no need for mechanical filtration in a reef tank......

I think your LFS is crazy lol run your skimmer 24/7

I was thinking the same thing but you never know. The other LFS in my area wanted $200.00 for an Aquaclear 110! Must be the water around here.....

doctorgori
07/22/2011, 09:57 PM
I just had a brilliant idea: why not combine the best of both worlds? SKimmer + HOB "fILTER"

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/pic-a/ASP01033.jpg

...just kidding: :crazy1::crazy1::crazy1:

:lolspin::lolspin:

symon_say
07/22/2011, 11:56 PM
Use the HOB empty as a refugium if you like.

mistaflicksta
07/26/2011, 09:28 PM
please dont ever go back to that store, find one that is strictly Saltwater

sporto0
07/27/2011, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=briankmarsh1980;19057451]there is no need for mechanical filtration in a reef tank......

I think your LFS is crazy lol run your skimmer 24/7[/QUOTE

Maybe not in yours, kind of a blanket statement, don't you think?

cboy
07/27/2011, 02:26 PM
I have an Aquaclear 110 and a HOB skimmer on my new tank

Aquaclear will be to run Purigen and Chemipure Elite/GFO

j tavares
07/27/2011, 03:10 PM
interesting skimmer only, no hangon, reactor w skimmer no hangon, hangon filters no skimmer done them all they all will work its the skill of the aquarist and good overall aquarium husbandry that is the secret so go for what you are comfortable with, personally skimmer w hangon filter is my choice you have the best of both worlds, flow, filtration and chemical and mechanical with extra bio should you ever need it. they all work