PDA

View Full Version : Techniques for cleaning new sand

jscarlata
07/22/2011, 08:55 AM
Hey all, getting ready to assemble a new tank soon, 90g, just got 80lbs of new sand, wondering if you guys have any neat ideas or techniques to make cleaning the sand easier. Is it ok to use regular tap water? Idk if I want to waste all that RO to clean sand...maybe a final rinse w RO...

b0bab0ey
07/22/2011, 09:09 AM
I've never cleaned new sand. I just pour it in before I fill my tank, level it the way I want it and then use a dish plate (or something similar). If you pour your water onto the dish plate, and don't disturb the sand, you won't have to worry about the tank being cloudy or having a sandstorm once you turn your pumps on. Just my 2 cents...

Toddrtrex
07/22/2011, 09:44 AM
Stir stir stir,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/sand2.jpg

Drain drain drain

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/sand4.jpg

Repeat repeat repeat

Done done done

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/sand3.jpg

4deepwater8
07/22/2011, 09:51 AM
I think if the sand is "live" you probably shouldn't rinse IMO. But other sand I guess you could.

javajaws
07/22/2011, 09:59 AM
I just rinsed 80lbs of sand a couple days ago. Tap water is ok - if you have a lawn do it outside and don't waste all that water!

I filled up a 5g bucket, then slowly poured some sand in...5-10lbs or so. Just kept the hose on the whole time in the bucket to keep things stirred up. Dump the water and fill halfway a few times until it runs mostly clear (it'll probably never get perfectly clear). Be sure to stir up all the sand in the bucket with either the hose/water or your hands.

I dumped each batch of clean sand into another large bucket and started on the next batch until I was done. Took about 45 minutes for 2 large bags.

bellis31
07/22/2011, 10:04 AM
I read on these forums that some guys use a pillow case to rinse the sand, seems like a pretty good idea to me...

Chris27
07/22/2011, 10:08 AM
+1 to Toddrtrex

Only thing to add to that is 4 more "Repeats"

It takes a while, but if you do a good job, it'll be worth it. Un-rinsed sand in a new tank can take days or weeks to clear up.

Toddrtrex
07/22/2011, 10:10 AM
To be honest, I did rinse it a lot more then 3 times. :)

And that last time I did it, I was able to do it outside (( the pictures above were from the winter, in Chicago... )), and it worked a lot better. Was able to use the hose and a 5 gallon bucket.

mess7777
07/22/2011, 11:05 AM
I read on these forums that some guys use a pillow case to rinse the sand, seems like a pretty good idea to me...

+1, I used the pillow case. Minimal mess, and my tank water was back to clear within 12 hours of adding the sand into a full tank.

I did use a long PVC tube to get it to the bottom since my tank was full of water.

EddieJ
07/22/2011, 11:47 AM
If you want to minimize PO4 problems, you should soak your sand in RO/DI water. Change 100 percent of the water every day until you see your PO4 register .03 or less. This process can take a week or 2, but it is definitely worth it in the long run.

jscarlata
07/22/2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone. Lol, I was hoping there was some trick I never thought of...I have done it a few times before.
The pillow case sounds good, may try that.
What I did the last few times I went thru this was to take a kitchen size garbage pail, tilt it at an angle using a large block if wood, clamp the hose to the side of the bucket so it doesn't come out and then put the hose on full blast. With maybe 5" of sand in the pail the water pressure kept it stirred up, and the angle of the pail let it drain on it's own, I would leave it for a half hour, then dump the pail, stir the sand and let it start over.