PDA

View Full Version : Suitable urchin for clingfish?

didz04
07/22/2011, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for an urchin that will be good for eating coralline algae getting rid of it from the screen and has long enough spines to home a yellow stripe clingfish. I know originally they live with long spined urchins but their spines will end up growing too big for the tank, as Ive been told within months they can become size of a football. Also been told they wouldn't clear up much of the coralline algae from the screen which is tough stuff.

So can anyone recommend a suitable urchin please that will clear coralline algae and also doesn't grow soo big but big enough for a clingfish to get inbetween its spines.

Thanks, help really appreciated.

didz04
07/23/2011, 06:26 PM
any help?

Well I might just try out a blade for getting rid of the coralline algae. So any know of any urchins that grows spines 2" max? Other than the long spine urchin, as like I said the will end up growing too big for the tank.

Thanks

didz04
07/23/2011, 06:32 PM
:spin1:

snorvich
07/23/2011, 07:57 PM
My recollection from diving (I have never kept this fish) is a long spine black urchin.

didz04
07/23/2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestion this is the one which the yellow stripe clingfish lives with but their spines grow to long and Within months I will have to rehome it. Thats why I'm looking for another sort of urchin that doesn't grow so big but has spines growing minimum of 1" long.

I don't think I need an urchin to keep yellow stripe clingfish as Ive seen from other successful clingfish keepers, but they seem to do better with one.

small alien
07/24/2011, 04:24 PM
What do you mean by scraping coraline from the screen? I think you should just go with a blade. Urchins can be quite challenging and often die.