PDA

View Full Version : Stunners

Renegade9
07/23/2011, 02:15 PM
Curious if anyone is running Stunner LED as primary lighting. I have a 180g 72x24x24. I am currently using a Aquaticlife HQI with 3 150w MH, 4 TD Actinic and LED ml. I also have 3 12" Actinic stunners. My wife just went and ordered 2 24" 12k/Magenta Stunners and 1 12" of the same. Can I use these as primary lighting on a tank this size. Thanks.

rtparty
07/23/2011, 03:11 PM
Not if you want corals IMO. They are weak for primary lighting for corals. I think the PAR on them is around 100 or so close to the surface. No way it would punch 24" of water. I have the ecopico LED strips and they are pretty weak too. At 12" I am getting about 40 PAR with 3 strips. My corals are doing alright but I know they could use more light.

redmarble
07/23/2011, 04:45 PM
CREE LEDs seem to be the only appropriate lighting for corals.

rtparty
07/24/2011, 03:18 PM
CREE LEDs seem to be the only appropriate lighting for corals.

There are MANY more options if you look for them. CREE's are very good but there are others that will work just fine as well.

Thatgrimguy
07/27/2011, 09:26 AM
There are MANY more options if you look for them. CREE's are very good but there are others that will work just fine as well.

This is true. But stunners strips aren't one of them. They are good for adding color and shimmer, but don't put off much par/pur

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

krshlln300
07/27/2011, 10:59 AM
I have 1 of each 12" stunner on my 29 Biocube as supplementation for color. I know they are very weak as main lighting. You would be better off with the panorama bars they have better penetration and would maybe keep coral "Alive" but as far as growth comparison to a metal halide- not so much. The stunners do add a LOT of color "POP" in corals though as mine flouresce when the main lights go off. I would also recommend the reflector for them if you don't already have it.

rtparty
07/27/2011, 12:47 PM
This is true. But stunners strips aren't one of them. They are good for adding color and shimmer, but don't put off much par/pur

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

One stunner strip will put out more PAR then one of the power compact bulbs and use less electricity in the process.

rtparty
07/27/2011, 12:48 PM
I have 1 of each 12" stunner on my 29 Biocube as supplementation for color. I know they are very weak as main lighting. You would be better off with the panorama bars they have better penetration and would maybe keep coral "Alive" but as far as growth comparison to a metal halide- not so much. The stunners do add a LOT of color "POP" in corals though as mine flouresce when the main lights go off. I would also recommend the reflector for them if you don't already have it.

The Panoramas put out plenty of light to sustain corals. There are some beautiful tanks running the Panoramas as main lighting.

Thatgrimguy
07/27/2011, 04:00 PM
One stunner strip will put out more PAR then one of the power compact bulbs and use less electricity in the process.

Who was talking about PCs? I thought this was a comparison to his t5/MH setup. There is a lot of difference between stunner leds and his current setup. They are no where close to a replacement for a tank of that depth.

rtparty
07/27/2011, 04:04 PM
Who was talking about PCs? I thought this was a comparison to his t5/MH setup. There is a lot of difference between stunner leds and his current setup. They are no where close to a replacement for a tank of that depth.

My bad, wrong thread. There have been 3 or 4 threads recently about the stunners. I thought this one was about the guy adding them to his BioCube.

You are right that these aren't made for primary lighting but they will grow corals in the right setup.

I actually ran into a link the other day where a guy had a softie tank and it was completely lit by stunners. I wouldn't ever recommend it though.

krshlln300
07/28/2011, 12:16 PM
Ya they may work for softies but you would need at least the panorams for lps/sps