PDA

View Full Version : White areas on Hallimeda

kdeyarmin
07/23/2011, 09:15 PM
I have a couple clumps of hallimeda. I have noticed that recently it is looking more brownish, than green. I also notice that there are white areas now on the plants. I hope you can see this in the pic. Nothing has changed in my tank, parameters, lighting, ect... Any ideas?

piercho
07/23/2011, 09:50 PM
Halimeda is a calcified plant. The calcified remains of Halimeda after sporulation are white. When Halimeda sporulates I'm use to seeing the entire plant turn white. I only see blotches of white in your picture, so I don't think that the white is a product of sporulation.

Is there an urchin or other grazer in the tank capable of gnawing down the Halimeda in your tank? I've seen white areas on my Halimeda after a long spine urchin has worked it over.

kdeyarmin
07/23/2011, 10:22 PM
I don't have any urchins. I have, however noticed my yellow tang and foxface nibbling on it at times. I also have hermit crabs, snails, and a lawnmower blenny. Would them nibbling on it occasionally cause this much damage? Will the plant survive or is there a way to protect it?

Arkayology
07/23/2011, 10:32 PM
Lack of nutrients

kdeyarmin
07/23/2011, 11:05 PM
particularily, which ones?

skabooya
07/25/2011, 01:46 PM
I agree lack of nutrients. What is your nitrate at? People think all that macro needs is calcium but thats not true. It needs Kno3 as well.

reefcleaners
07/25/2011, 08:56 PM
sometimes brushing off the dead portions of the plant will encourage new growth, it takes energy for the plant to do it itself.

Plantbrain
07/25/2011, 10:23 PM
Ca and Alk(for obvious reasons), N and a little P, Traces/Fe etc.

If the N or P are bottomed out and you have not added any traces.......then you might consider it.