PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Unit and Newb = Headache!! I have no idea what to do!

excitedforfish
07/23/2011, 11:45 PM
Alright guys,

I have always wanted an RO/DI unit but figured paying .40 a gallon seemed to be "cheaper" but after lugging those 5g jugs up flights of stairs I think I am finally ready to make the plunge for an RODI unit.

I am starting a 57g Illuminata with a 20g sump so I figure I will need about 8 g a week for water changes.

I am considering buying this unit:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/review/product/list/id/519/

What do you guys think? Is there a better (more affordable) unit in the market?

Also....here's where the questions start to sound really newbish. How the heck do you hook this thing up? I know there are manuals online but I DO NOT want to drill any pipes. Period. Something about drilling pipes in my new house scares me and I know I'd mess something up.

So....RC folks help me out! I'm thinking either under the sink hookup....garage hookup....laundry hookup....or something else?

oh and last question...how long does it take approx. to make 5g of RODI water? Do I need to keep an eye on the water container?

Daimyo68
07/24/2011, 06:12 AM
It's been 10+ years since I bought my 4 stage RO/DI unit from SpectraPure (Sediment, Carbon, Membrane, DI), but it's basically the same setup less the extra separate cartridge.

The unit from BRS should be just fine, as most units (from any named manufacturer) are essentially doing the same thing, making water. The TDS meter and pressure gauge will help in letting you know when it's time to change out your filters also.

I've had my unit for a long time, so I can't really comment on any other/better units.

The 75g per day unit is what I have. It produces 5g of water in about an hour, but make sure to time yours on the first few buckets so you get a feel for when it will be done, and you avoid any floods.

As for location, you can put it anywhere you want, just avoid high temps (like a closed garage that gets over 100 degrees, as it can start to breakdown the membrane. Under the sink, in a closet, anywhere that is comfortable for you. Also, avoid direct sunlight on the unit if it has the clear canisters, as algae will start to grow inside them. Another thing to consider when placing the unit, is the availability of a drain pipe for the waste water that is produced. If there's no drain pipe near, you can always just buy a long length of tubing and run it out a window or to a sink drain.

Hook up: Couple ways you can go.
You can go to HD/Lowes and get a Saddle Valve and it will tap into an existing cold water pipe.
You can get a faucet adapter that will fit the end of the tubing, and just screw it onto the end of the faucet when needed.

I keep my unit under the sink, it's hard connected to the water line, and a control valve in place to turn the water off/on when needed. I usually make 30g at a time, and just keep it in a food grade container until I need it.

As for connecting it all up, BRS has a video on the same page as the unit. They are really easy to connect, and when your all done doing that, your gonna say "wow! that's it?"

Buckeye Hydro
07/24/2011, 06:17 AM
Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
07/24/2011, 06:27 AM
Let me give you a little different perspective on a few items Daimy posted:
The 75g per day unit is what I have. It produces 5g of water in about an hour
Even under factory spec conditions (which most people don't have), a 75 gpd membrane will produce just a little over 3 gallons in an hour. Under more typical conditions, you'll likely see about 2 gph.

As for location, you can put it anywhere you want, just avoid high temps (like a closed garage that gets over 100 degrees, as it can start to breakdown the membrane. Under the sink, in a closet, anywhere that is comfortable for you. Also, avoid direct sunlight on the unit if it has the clear canisters, as algae will start to grow inside them.
Temperatures over 113 may damage the membrane, and will void the warranty. Sunlight will also degrade the plastics on the system.

Hook up: Couple ways you can go.
You can go to HD/Lowes and get a Saddle Valve and it will tap into an existing cold water pipe.
You can get a faucet adapter that will fit the end of the tubing, and just screw it onto the end of the faucet when needed.

We recommend you avoid a saddle valve (AKA self piercing needle valve). We stock them for people who really want them, but they are less than ideal. Depending upon where you are going to put the system, there will be options that will work better for you than a faucet adapter as well.

Russ

Sport507
07/24/2011, 07:51 AM
Alright guys,

I have always wanted an RO/DI unit but figured paying .40 a gallon seemed to be "cheaper" but after lugging those 5g jugs up flights of stairs I think I am finally ready to make the plunge for an RODI unit.

I am starting a 57g Illuminata with a 20g sump so I figure I will need about 8 g a week for water changes.

I am considering buying this unit:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/review/product/list/id/519/

What do you guys think? Is there a better (more affordable) unit in the market?

Also....here's where the questions start to sound really newbish. How the heck do you hook this thing up? I know there are manuals online but I DO NOT want to drill any pipes. Period. Something about drilling pipes in my new house scares me and I know I'd mess something up.

So....RC folks help me out! I'm thinking either under the sink hookup....garage hookup....laundry hookup....or something else?

oh and last question...how long does it take approx. to make 5g of RODI water? Do I need to keep an eye on the water container?

You will not be sorry if you chose that system. It comes with a membrane back flush pressure gage and TDS meter to show before and after DI unit. As for how much will it make in one hour, that depends on your water pressure. Hooking them up, nothing could be easier. Here is a picture of mine, the only difference is I added a second membrane to increase my water output.

sophelia76
07/24/2011, 09:08 AM
I have the exact system you are looking at from BRS. It's awesome. Everything you need is included and pre-installed. I mounted and hooked mine up in 15 minutes without any drilling into pipes. Watch the installation video on their website for the 75 gpd plus system. It will show you how easy it is. I used the garden hose adapter outside my garage and fed the lines through an air vent into the garage (where the RO unit an water containers are. I save my waste water in a container ouside and throw it in my swimming pool (can't waste water in So. Cal.!)

sophelia76
07/24/2011, 09:12 AM
PS- the 75 gpd plus system from BRS comes with the auto shut off valve pre-installed. If you buy the float valve and check valve for the auto shut-off system, you can mount the float switch in your water container and the unit will shut off when the container is full. I still keep an eye on it, but it's a good back-up in case I forget that it's on.

Toddrtrex
07/24/2011, 10:09 AM
While I have since moved, I still just hook mine up to the kitchen sink -- make all my water at once and then done with it. In my new place, I make 5 gallons in about 1 hour and 40 minutes -- 75 GPD Dow FilmTec membrane.

This is how I had it hooked up in the old place,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Fish%20stuff/RODI-1.jpg

jong11
07/24/2011, 10:38 AM
I have the 4 stage BRS and couldn't be happier. Depending on your TDS levels at your water source you may not even need the extra stage on the model you are considering. Mine is very low, 34, before filtering so I didn't consider an additional stage. I can produce about 3 gallons in an hour.

89Foxbody
07/24/2011, 10:46 AM
The 5 stage BRS is the one I just got and it's fantastic value and does a great job. Like others have said, it comes with the dual TDS meter, pressure gauge, flush kit, and an adapter to hook it up to any situation imaginable. I have mine hooked up under my kitchen sink with the in-line adapter. When I make water I just open the ball valve and it starts working. Fantastic system for the money.

excitedforfish
07/24/2011, 12:48 PM
Wow, you guys here never let me down!! Thanks for all the amazing feedback.

So how many microns is the filter I am looking to get?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-plus-system.html

Is a .5micron system better than lets say a 1 micron system? Thanks.

Sport507
07/24/2011, 01:45 PM
Wow, you guys here never let me down!! Thanks for all the amazing feedback.

So how many microns is the filter I am looking to get?

Is a .5micron system better than lets say a 1 micron system? Thanks.

It comes with sediment filter the 5 micron carbon block then into the 1 micron carbon block then into the DI filter. It comes with everything. Is that what you are asking?

excitedforfish
07/24/2011, 02:11 PM
Oh actually let me rephrase, I was trying to figure out if a larger micron did better filtering. I read this quote somewhere,

"If you want new you can pick up this unit (BFS-160) from Buckeye Field Supply for $177 which includes a TDS meter.: http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showprod...168&Sub=166 This unit has a 1 Micron sediment filter vs. Spectrapure's .5 micron."

So.....the larger the micron the better is it?

Also.... does this system come with all the attachments to hook it up to like a washer dryer/hose/faucet/under sink...etc? I can't tell from the website

Sport507
07/24/2011, 02:18 PM
Oh actually let me rephrase, I was trying to figure out if a larger micron did better filtering. I read this quote somewhere,

"If you want new you can pick up this unit (BFS-160) from Buckeye Field Supply for $177 which includes a TDS meter.: http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showprod...168&Sub=166 This unit has a 1 Micron sediment filter vs. Spectrapure's .5 micron."

So.....the larger the micron the better is it?

Also.... does this system come with all the attachments to hook it up to like a washer dryer/hose/faucet/under sink...etc? I can't tell from the website

The smaller the micron number the better but after the DI filter it comes out 0 TDS anyway.

excitedforfish
07/24/2011, 02:21 PM
wow thanks! Okay last question - do you think it comes with all the optional attachments I would need to hook it up like maybe under the sink, in the garage, laundry room, garden hose, etc.

Sport507
07/24/2011, 02:38 PM
Watch this it will answer all your questions.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/video?file_name=53

doublenerds
07/24/2011, 03:37 PM
I have the exact same system from BRS and it is easy as pie to set up. And I say this as someone who knows jack about plumbing :)

At first I used the hose attachment to connect the unit to a laundry sink in my basement, but like you I got tired of schlepping buckets so now the unit lives under my kitchen sink. They provide you with 4-5 different methods of attachment and clear instructions about each one.

I recommend putting it in one place and leaving it there if you can, the unit is heavy and cumbersome when full of water. Every time I moved mine I was terrified I was going to drop the DI unit, which is only attached by the connecting hose.

It takes about 11 hours to fill a 32 gallon Brute garbage can.

orion251
07/24/2011, 07:38 PM
I have that BRS unit. I used a water hose "splitter" that I got from Lowe's on the cold water line of my washing machine. One side goes to the washer and one side goes to the RO/DI. When I am making RO water I put the waste line in the washer until it is half full and then put it down the washer drain. So, I am using part of the RO waste to wash my clothes. I have a 32g trash can by the washer that holds the RO water. I added the BRS float valve and check valve to the RO can so that the RO unit will shut off automatically after I flooded my laundry room by falling asleep on the sofa....................

Buckeye Hydro
07/24/2011, 07:53 PM
The difference between 1 micron and 0.5 micron is functionally essentially meaningless when you're talking about sediment filters. We use a 1 mic sediment filter and a 0.5 mic carbon block.

A "micron" is a millionth of a meter. A human hair is about 88 microns in diameter.

Russ