PDA

View Full Version : Re-locating Tank

zhewitt04
07/25/2011, 08:08 PM
I have a 150 i am moving into a stock tank in the garage. I am refinishing my hardwood floors and it has to move. I have gave away all fish and coral minus stuff attached to the live rock (exnia and gsp). I am jsut curious the best way to do this since i am going to have to disturb my sand bed. Just looking for some advise and guidence. Also... Thanks

reefcleaners
07/25/2011, 08:10 PM
move the rocks into buckets, and discard the sand and get a new sand bed. discard all the water and start with a new batch. Add sand first, then pour water over a bucket lid (to reduce coudiness) over the sand. Add your rock back in again, and then wait for the tank to settle before restocking. Good luck with the move!

zhewitt04
07/25/2011, 08:16 PM
Ok so just through the rock in the stock tank. Get rid of the sand and buy a new sand bed when I start the tank back up?

FutureBoyGenius
07/25/2011, 09:26 PM
I have moved a similar tank before. I have never heard of discarding all of the water and sand, can you please elaborate on the reasoning? I can understand discarding the sand because of hidden detritus causing a cycle, but why all of the water too?

zhewitt04
07/25/2011, 11:00 PM
I didn't catch that part. I assumed i wanted to keep the water. Please elaborate reefcleaner!
Thanks

SecretiveFish
07/26/2011, 08:18 AM
If I was needing to move that tank, I would probably try to keep 75% of the water, clean out the sand as best as possible, and move the tank putting most of the old sand back in with some new sand. Maybe if you have a DSB you need to boil the old sand or something to kill off the bacteria?

No matter what you do even if you replace the sand, I think you will cause a mini-cycle.

zhewitt04
07/27/2011, 09:30 PM
I agree a mini cycle will happen but i am not worried since there will be no real coral in there except GSP and Exnia. That stuff is bulletproof anyways.