PDA

View Full Version : water change schedule

jon1985
07/26/2011, 05:48 AM
I was thinking the other day, would my tank be more stable if instead of one large water change per week I did several small ones through out the week. This would mean the minerals in the water would remain at a more constant level because they would be being replaced more often.

For example would 1 30 gallon water change on sunday afternoon be better then doing a 10 gallon water change 3 times a week?

The only thing I add to my water, other than salt, is tropic marine bio-cal.

Thoughts?

snorvich
07/26/2011, 05:57 AM
Small more frequent water changes are likely better, but most of us are not able to do so unless we have a continuous water change system set up.

jeff@zina.com
07/26/2011, 06:00 AM
The best is consistent, regular water changes. If you can do it every other day as a routine, fine. If not, don't try. Some of us do well to change water every month.

Bottom line is you never know when you need to change the water and how much unless you do rigorous testing. For 95% of reefers it's a guessing game. And what works for one may or may not work for another.

Jeff

jon1985
07/26/2011, 06:52 AM
The main reason I am looking to start several small water changes is for time issues. I alays have 50 gallons of salt water mixed so thats not an issue. The problem with big water changes is it takes juat under an hour for me to do a 30-40 gallon water change. Where as I can do a 10 gallon water change in 10-15 mins. What his means is I am more likely to do them regularly instead of when I have an hour.

GreenTankCorals
07/26/2011, 07:50 AM
Regular, small amounts water change is the best approach but most of us are unable to stick to a regular, consistent schedule.

Ideally, if you have a pump on a timer in the sump that takes 5% of the water out to the drain. A few minutes later another pump on a timer from refills the same amount into the sump from your fresh saltwater source.

Con: the system has to be redundant to compensate for the pump failures etc.
Pro: You only need to spend time to make enough saltwater that can last you for 1-2 weeks and this setup will save time spent for the regular water changes.

Does any one have a similar system? Any thoughts?

snorvich
07/26/2011, 08:17 AM
Does any one have a similar system? Any thoughts?

Genesis Reef Systems, an RC sponsor, markets a system for doing such.

JoeRonda
07/26/2011, 09:03 AM
25% once monthly:fish1:

orcus
07/26/2011, 09:37 AM
I don't know about a system for automating this, but it sounds like what some people do for "wet skimming". My understanding is that you can skim larger quantities of water out, and then have a top-off add the same amount back to maintain salinity.