PDA

View Full Version : how much flow thru refugium is best for macro algee ?

j-123
07/26/2011, 07:35 AM
hi ,

i have all in one sump / refugium ,,, 58 gal tank ,,, ~ 15 gal sump...

trying to get macro algee in refug to suck up as much waste as possible.

i saw some post that you need slow flow for this to work best ...

right now all flow goes thru first chamber with the skimmer and macro algee , then flows into to section with the return pump...

so all flow currently goes thru "refugium" / skimmer...

quiet abit of flow ... so is this ok ?

the macro algee is dark green , does not seem to grow and change size.

currently ,,, i am getting red and black slime algee in main tank ,, i use roi ,,, good flow in main tank, change out lighting to mostly attenic ...

still have slime ,,, so i am wondering if refugium really doing much for the main tank ?

ok, thanks for any inpu !!

snorvich
07/26/2011, 08:18 AM
In my 40 gallon refugium, I have 300 gallons per hour

Palting
07/26/2011, 08:57 AM
My 20 gal remote fuge runs at 400 gph. I have no idea if this is good or bad. But, that's the pump that I had lkying around, and the macro algae are growing like weeds and have to trim it back every two weeks.

Clownin Aroun
07/26/2011, 09:14 AM
I am interested in this as well. Wonder how much is too much flow and how much is too little! I'm sure people have success stories with both low flow and high flow rates but interestin to know what is suggested!

JoeRonda
07/26/2011, 09:20 AM
3-5 times turnover of your system per hour.
For example my 120g w/ 40b sump has a 350gph throughput which gives my system 3 times turnover rate. My water is always crystal clear even before water change time. I attribute it to my refugium and macroalgae polishing my water.