PDA

View Full Version : Chromis

majohns
07/26/2011, 09:54 AM
Every time i buy 5 or 7 green chromis they all slowly die off! what is the deal? I tested my water and everything is ok and all my other live stock is doing well.

Tin_Whistler
07/26/2011, 10:52 AM
Is it the smallest one you find dead? Chromis have a habit of "picking eachother off"

They're like the fish version of Highlander.

disc1
07/26/2011, 11:03 AM
How big of a tank? That can make a difference. I've heard that the secret to keeping a school of chromis is to have something in there bigger than they are so that they feel threatened enough to school up. Even a big tang or something, just so they see someone bigger and tougher in their neighborhood.

WienerDog
07/26/2011, 11:08 AM
I have had my school of Chromis together since day 1. they have been through a 6 week quarantine for ich and are by far the smallest fish in the tank. I feel they do school together because they are far smaller than the other residents.

Saadatski
07/26/2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah i agree with the bigger fish. my chromis school together because my clownfish are aggressive towards them.

Mr.Tan
07/26/2011, 12:21 PM
i've had 2 blue/green chromis in my tank for a bit now, they were the first fish i put in. I havent had any problems with them, both stick side by side all the time.. I don't know if it is because my coral beauty is so much bigger then they are (he is a big one out of most i've seen) but so far so good...

majohns
08/01/2011, 09:38 AM
I have a 55g. My maroon clown rules the tank and I don't blame him. He has been there for 6 yrs but he would chase them. They would then school up and he figured out that he is too fat and slow to catch them so he stopped. But after that they started to die off. Smallest to large. one had a gill that was ripped off and died from that but I the other ones just found at the bottom.

thegrun
08/01/2011, 09:42 AM
I've never been able to keep a school, they always pick each other off until only the strongest one is left.

GoIllini
08/01/2011, 09:44 AM
Just get a six line wrasse. Problem solved

snorvich
08/01/2011, 10:01 AM
Is it the smallest one you find dead? Chromis have a habit of "picking eachother off"

Exactly. And I love the metaphor.

stingythingy45
08/01/2011, 10:05 AM
Best way to keep chomis is to keep one.
Cause that's what you eventually end up with anyways.
I have read that feeding small amounts often with an autofeeder helps with keeping a group of them.

majohns
08/05/2011, 09:16 AM
I was talking to woman who has had success. she told me to put them in a quarantine tank and medicate them with an anti fungal medicine. then when she feels they are strong enough to put them into the main display.

ReefWhoDat
08/05/2011, 09:27 AM

Lmao! I went through two schools of chromis before I accepted that there can be only one.

He was the most powerful, and he seems happy by himself...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

majohns
08/05/2011, 09:47 AM
See, I have a pajama cardinal that is meant to be in a school, but he has been alone for a year now and is doing great. He is very active. I think I will just try one and see how it goes.

Lady R
08/05/2011, 10:23 AM
I had 4 then 3 then 2, now only one . I hardly ever seen them fight. I guess the saying only the strong will survive hold true for them....:sad2: