PDA

View Full Version : Seeding a tank/fuge with copepods

CrimsonGhost
07/27/2011, 12:11 AM
Hello all. I am in the process of setting up a 75gal which will eventually be a mixed reef. One of my fav fish, is the mandarin dragonets. I have been doing tons of reading on them, and no, I won't consider one till his food source is well established. Which leads me to my question.

I have seen tons of websites offering live copepod colonies for sale by the bottle. Most recommend 1 bottle for the tank and fuge each. Has anyone ever done this? Or is there a better method? Also, if so, when is the apporopite time to seed? Obviously after the cycle, but how long after that. Thanks for any input.

papagimp
07/27/2011, 12:18 AM
better method... get some sand or a piece of live rock from a fellow reefers tank. seed with that. Save the cash for something more useful.

dlterry85
07/27/2011, 04:32 AM
you'll probably want to buy some. mandarins go thru a lot of pods and it is hard to keep up with their demand. get in contact with the cultured reef. they are located in florida and have a website. richard is great to deal with.

Palting
07/27/2011, 06:24 AM
Hello all. I am in the process of setting up a 75gal which will eventually be a mixed reef. One of my fav fish, is the mandarin dragonets. I have been doing tons of reading on them, and no, I won't consider one till his food source is well established. Which leads me to my question.

I have seen tons of websites offering live copepod colonies for sale by the bottle. Most recommend 1 bottle for the tank and fuge each. Has anyone ever done this? Or is there a better method? Also, if so, when is the apporopite time to seed? Obviously after the cycle, but how long after that. Thanks for any input.

I have done this. Twice. I've also seeded the fuge with live phyto to feed the pods. Better mehtod? Who knows, really. It's anyone's opinion, but this worked. I did this early on, as soon as the tank was cycled. I have two mandarins and a 6 line. all three fat and happy.