PDA

View Full Version : Bubble algae on LPS

StephLionfish
07/27/2011, 11:47 PM
First, let me say that I have no idea where to post this....so sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

Well, I went to the LFS today, and saw the most BEAUTIFUL coral today. Forgot what it was ( dangit! ) but it was rainbow and lovely and wanted me to go home and do research on it and buy it. While I was "inspecting" it, I saw a little green bubble ( bubble algae) on the skeleton.
I cannot stand bubble algae, and fight with it in another tank, so I didn't buy the pretty coral.

What I was wondering, is should I still get it? If I get it, and pick the bubble off, will more still pop up that I didn't see? Is there any way I can scrub the skeleton so that the bubble algae will NOT show up in my tank and/or on the coral? What would you do?

king87
07/28/2011, 04:54 PM
I have bought frags with a few green bubble algae on them. i usually bring them home and simply pop the bubbles and scrape them completely off the plug/rock that they came on. I have never had them return after that. I would get the coral just be sure to remove all of the algae.

king87
07/28/2011, 04:55 PM
If the algae is on the coral skeleton you can do the same thing. scrub with a toothbrush.

Lynnmw1208
07/28/2011, 06:58 PM
I agree, you can remove bubble algae pretty easily and you should dip the coral as well to prevent pests so that should help clean it :) I would, however, NOT buy a coral with aiptasia on it... that's a different story :uzi:

StephLionfish
07/28/2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. What kind of "dip" would you recommend?

StephLionfish
07/28/2011, 11:26 PM
I think I'm still gonna pass on the gorgeous coral.... The lfs employee will likely pop it when he puts it in the bag........and if i tell him, he'll scrape it off and what if he pops it? Or even if he doesn't.....would hate for some spores be left and stick on the coral somewhere when I put it into the tank...... :(

Lynnmw1208
07/29/2011, 06:32 AM
I wouldn't worry about that unless you have completely dead rock in your tank. my bubble algae came from spores in the only 2 live rocks I purchased to seed the tank. you may end up with it anyway, but it's pretty easy to scrape off or pull off with tweezers.